At UPS, we also discover how we combine endless opportunities, innovation and rewards to create a truly unique career experience. With our unique promote-from-within culture, you'll always find exciting new opportunities at every level of the organization. From training and education to growth and empowerment, you have the freedom to forge a career path that can take you anywhere you want to go.
12 month contract position
The Public Relations (PR) and Social Media Supervisor is responsible for protecting and advancing the company's reputation and supporting key business priorities through the development of proactive and reactive communications strategies. He/she is responsible for garnering media coverage and social engagement, and maintaining positive relationships with media, stakeholders and vendors. This position is responsible for the overall planning, development, execution and results of the PR program in Canada. He/She, along with the Communications and PR Manager, is responsible for the financial planning, cost reporting, staff management, information management, crisis communications and department training. The PR and Social Media Supervisor identifies and plans for the changing needs of the department, shares responsibility with appropriate partners for strategic planning and contributes to the cost-effective management of the PR function.
Implements PR Plans and Strategies:
- Works with PR agency to create short-term and long-term, media-focused PR strategies that incorporate business, cultural and media practices to advance and enhance UPS’s reputation.
- Communicates with Communications and PR Manager and Canada District staff on scope and direction of PR plans, and acts as liaison for information requests from the field to ensure a quick response.
- Generates project plans in consultation with other communications groups, Legal, Business Development, Events and Sponsorships, Customer Communications, Small Business, etc., to support enterprise priorities.
- Manages specific portions of the budget to ensure department accountability and efficient use of PR resources.
- Consults with PR management team to ensure alignment of PR with District, Region and Corporate directives.
- Provides PR counsel to District/Region Communications staff to maintain global messaging coordination.
- Must be willing to accept other duties assigned from time to time within and outside of the department
Coordinates Messages and Agency Communications:
- Writes press materials (e.g., press releases, talking points, Q&As, key messages, speeches, etc.) on current events, new products/services, acquisitions, policies, surveys, csr, etc., to protect UPS’s image and support the business plan.
- Develops Subject Matter Expertise (SME) in Public Relations best practices to ensure accuracy and consistency of message.
- Ensures/creates messages that are consistent and aligned with UPS strategy to maximize effectiveness in reaching intended audiences.
- Coordinates and approves work to be completed by PR agency to reach specific PR objectives.
- Coordinates media pitching assignments to prevent duplication of effort.
- Develops non-traditional PR campaigns via social media, video and design etc. to promote and create engagement with the brand in support of the business plan.
- Prepares and creates messaging for crisis situations proactively and reactively.
Communicates with Media:
- Prepares proactive media announcements (e.g., news releases, statements, case studies, Question and Answer documents [Q&A], TV “B-roll” background footage, etc.) regarding aspects of UPS’s business or policy statements to maintain continuity of message.
- Coordinates approvals of UPS’s messages through Legal, PR, and SMEs to ensure message consistency before releasing information to the media.
- Serves as media spokesperson to disseminate information to reporters.
- Develops relationships with media through meetings, industry events, calls, emails, etc., to foster rapport.
Maintains External Relationships and Develops Customer Examples:
- Provides periodic emails to industry trade reporters to provide background information on issues related to UPS business interests.
- Prepares fact sheets, Q&As, etc., to educate media on issues pertaining to Canada initiatives.
- Supports media coaching initiatives to prepare executives for interviews with the media.
- Participates in calls with customers to understand competitive differentiators, business results, and key industry issues in order to compose briefing documents, sales collateral, and customer stories for proactive story pitching with the media.
Performs General Public Relations Project Work:
- Reacts to customer complaints to demonstrate an attitude of customer care to the public.
- Assists with photo shoots, media inquiries, script development and media tours.
- Coordinate and draft speaking notes for speaking opportunities at events.
- Create and execute social media content to build audience and increase high-authority influencers.
- Pitches media story ideas to the news media, to maximize positive media exposure for UPS.
- Prepares spokespeople for media interviews
Develops and Manages Budgets and Finances:
- Reviews relevant financial data to create an accurate and complete financial plan.
- Obtains necessary approval for financial plans to adhere to budgetary guidelines.
- Prepares project cost plans to appropriately plan and forecast needs.
- Works with accounting to incorporate the cost into the overall plan.
- Manages processing of invoices and all other function expenses to contribute to an accurate financial result.
- Determines and implements plans to reconcile exceptions.
- Assists in customer communications projects as needed
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Exceptional people skills
- Project management experience
- Exceptional verbal and writing skills
- MS Office – Word (Advanced), Excel (Advanced), PowerPoint (Advanced)
- Social media – Twitter (advanced), Facebook (advanced), LinkedIn (Advanced), Instagram (Advanced)
- Experience in developing and presenting business cases backed by analysis and projection of results
- Ability to manage time appropriately and strong ability to multi-task
- Impeccable attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Strong leadership skills, with ability to work effectively with senior executives and to provide instruction to direct reports, as well as other departments
- Good analytical skills. Sales/market/financial analysis
- Event/advertising and promotion management experience considered an asset
- Required: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Public Relations, Marketing, Communications or related communications field.
- Minimum two years’ experience in a corporate environment in the PR discipline.
- Marketing/Graphic Design/Video Design/Project Management/Event Planning/Speech Writing/Social Media Planning and Execution/Promotion/Advertising experience all considered assets.
- Previous people management experience considered an asset.
Unique Attributes Required For Success
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: $5,529.00 /month
- Public Relations: 1 year (Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)