Our client is a large, highly regarded, resource development and forest management company that provides full service logging, hauling, road construction & maintenance, and professional services. They are looking for an experienced and dynamic individual to elevate their accounting and finance function as Divisional Controller. This exceptionally talented person will report to the General Manager and will own all aspects of accounting and finance for the coastal division that has diversified operations including expertise in full-phase harvesting and road construction.Located in the vibrant Comox Valley, the Company has created an unwavering people first culture that is customer focused and community oriented.If you have a passion for creating impact, deep experience in finance and accounting in the forestry/natural resources industryand want to be a part of an incredible team, we want to talk to you!
A Day in the life of the Divisional Controller: role and responsibilities
Combining their technical accounting expertise, communication skills and leadership, the Divisional Controller is responsible for executing and administering all aspects of the Division’s accounting and finance function. Reporting to the General Manager, the Divisional Controller will play five roles:
- Scorekeeper – focus on bookkeeping, processing transactions, reconciling balances. This includes preparation of the Division’s accounting and financial statements, monthly accounting close, process and reconciliation of GL & Sub ledgers, administering and delivering payroll, processing accounts receivable and accounts payable, and overseeing fleet and insurance including claims and contract administration.
- Operator - operate an efficient and effective accounting/finance function providing a variety of services to the business such as financial planning, budgeting and analysis, treasury, tax, and other finance operations as directed by the General Manager or VP of Finance.
- Business Partner- focus on value creation, acting as a business advisor and providing insight to support decision makingand maintaining professional relationships with customers and vendors.
- Custodian – focus on governance and ensure compliance and effective controls acting as the custodian of assets and value protection. Supervise transactional accounting in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Team manager – manage and supervise the administrative staff.
Requirements – what you bring to the company:
- Professional Accounting Designation;
- 5+ years of progressive experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience;
- Technical accounting expertise;
- Experience with forestry management/natural resources an asset;
- Full cycle accounting experience (preparing journal entries, working papers, financial statements, notes, lead sheets, etc.);
- A good foundation in hands-on transactional accounting;
- Experience in audit and internal controls;
- Business processes implementation is required;
- Experience creating and managing budgets for a large, distributed organization;
- Track record of successfully coaching, developing, and managing a team;
- Experienced working with a mid-size ERP system is an asset.
Our “must haves” that make you great:
- You live the brand and corporate values.
- You possess a strong business acumen.
- You have proven work ethic with utmost integrity.
- You strive for efficiency.
- You think and act like an entrepreneur.
- You are dedicated to growing the operations by building successful relationships with customers and clients.
- You have a positive attitude and you are team oriented.
- You are highly detail oriented and organized.
- You are a true collaborator with exceptional people and leadership skills.
- You are empathetic and approachable with an ability to partner with and influence management.
- You possess self-awareness, with a desire for constant self-improvement, goal oriented.
- You are able to work well independently and to work under pressure.
- Great culture, high growth, collaborative environment.
- Compensation for this role includes competitive base salary based on experience.
- Comprehensive benefits package including retirement, extended medical, dental, disability.
- Work-life integration including flexible holidays and personal time to maintain balance.
- Exciting career with professional on-going development.
Job Type: Full-time
- accounting: 5 years (Preferred)