Reporting to the Band Administrator, the Operations Manager is accountable for assisting in the delivery of all Band programs, including health, education, housing, social assistance, and administration. The Operations Manager must provide records and documents to the relevant governments and agencies, when requested. He/she must also ensure that all business and operations are conducted in a responsible and ethical way.
General duties include:
Operational Band Management
- Provides leadership in managing organizational strategic and operational plans under the direction of Band Administrator.
- Ensures that strategic goals/plans, policies and procedures, and community programs are administered and evaluated.
- Ensures that all Band operations are conducted within relevant legislation, policies, and procedures. Assists in the interpretation of applicable legislation, regulations, and agreements in consultation with appropriate government departments or legal counsel when needed.
- Administers agreements with applicable government agencies and departments. Submits reports to applicable government departments or agencies as required regarding social services or education issues, and capital projects.
- Assists in the management of the community’s infrastructure and assets. Supervises equipment and facility use and maintenance.
- Ensures filing and record keeping systems are established and maintained.
- Assists in the process for the development of an Annual Risk Management Plan and Fraud Risk Plan.
Financial Operations Management
- Provides support to the Finance department and Program Managers in the administering of annual operating and capital budgets.
- Provides assistance to the Band Administrator in the management of financial affairs of the Gitsegukla Band and its entities.
- Maintains up to date knowledge of all budget and funding requirements, applicable government financial legislation and policies, as well as all Band financial policies and procedures.
- Coordinates the preparation of the budget for Band operations.
- Reviews all monthly and quarterly financial statements for accuracy and completeness.
- Ensures internal financial controls are in place.
- Monitors purchasing, tendering and other financial transactions for the Band.
Program and Service Delivery Management
- Assists in the overseeing of program delivery in all areas, including health, education, housing and social assistance.
- Assists in the development of proposals for program funding.
- Ensures program funds are expended appropriately.
- Administers and maintains program policies, procedures and standards.
- Administers evaluation criteria that can identify and measure the effectiveness of programs and program delivery.
Coordination of Community Development Activities
- Maintains an open, equitable and service oriented relationship between the community and the Band administration.
- Researches potential funding, programs and projects as required.
Band Council Support and Administration
- Prepares materials and reports in support of Band Council operations.
- Attends all Band Council meetings; coordinates the preparation of agendas, information and resources for Band Meetings and Band Council Members.
- Maintains and circulates minutes of Band Council Meetings as well as all Band Council Resolutions.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as necessary in the performance of the position, and as assigned by the Band Administrator.
Human Resource Management
- Manages staff in accordance with Band standards and performance expectations. Oversees day-to-day activities. Evaluates performance of staff.
- Recruits, coaches, and mentors staff. Coordinates training and development activities.
- Promotes and provides for a positive working environment aligned with the culture and values of the Gitsegukla First Nation and broadly within the values of the Gitxsan Nation.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as necessary in the performance of the position and as assigned by the Band Administrator.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of key issues, legislation, policies, and procedures relating to First Nations administration.
- Ability to manage First Nations resources, including people, materials, assets, and money.
- Strong team leadership and management skills.
- Strong operations & HR management skills.
- Working knowledge of public sector accounting standards (PSAS).
- Ability to establish good working relationships, both internally and with external stakeholders.
- Ability to manage conflict using sound judgement.
- Effective written communications skills, including the ability to prepare reports, policies, and Band Council documents.
- Possesses cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Demonstrates a dedication to the role and to the Gitsegukla Community.
Experience and Education Requirements:
- Post-secondary education in business, finance, Aboriginal studies, or other related field is preferred.
- 5+ years of related experience, ideally in a management role for a First Nations organization, with responsibility for the following areas: Operations, Financial Management, Budgeting, Human Resources Management, Program Management and Delivery, Program Evaluation
- Professional appearance
- Must review and follow all Gitsegukla Policies and Procedures, and be able to provide direction to staff on policy interpretation
Ability to successfully and periodically undergo an appropriate criminal records review and police record check is required.
If you are interested in learning more about this opportunity, please forward your resume and cover letter by email through Indeed.
Do not call or email the Band Office, Band Administrator or Councillors regarding this or any other job posting, doing so will result in disqualification.
Applications will only be considered from those eligible to work in Canada. All applicants who require a work permit or sponsorship for employment in Canada will not be considered.
Please note only candidates considered for the interview process will be contacted.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Monday to Friday
- No Weekends
- Managerial: 5 years (Preferred)
- First Nation: 5 years (Preferred)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19