JRS Engineering is a premier full-service consulting firm specializing in building science and building envelope consulting. With over 55 people in 3 offices, we consist of engineers, architects, technologists, roof inspectors, reserve planners, energy/thermal modelers and master’s graduates in building science. Because of our robust and structured EIT training and mentorship program, we are an Accredited Employer within Engineers and Geoscientists BC’s Member-In-Training Program - the only company in the building envelope consulting industry. Our professional development support network, cooperative culture, and employee-owned share structure helps deliver the best in class service and quality results our clients have come to expect.
The intermediate/senior building envelope consultant will be responsible for project management and engineering challenges of medium to advanced complexity, which will require applying a variety of established building science principles/standards and working with senior staff when presented with challenges of advanced complexity. Properties/buildings range from small to the large, wood frame to concrete, and new to existing buildings.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering/Applied Science or Masters in Architecture;
- Professional Engineer with Engineers Geoscientists BC or Registered Architect registered with AIBC; and
- 5 to 10 years of work experience in building science and building envelope consulting.
- Prepare and review written reports, which may include, legal reports, warranty reviews, maintenance reviews/manuals, building envelope condition assessments, leak investigations, etc.;
- Apply engineering design and risk assessment to develop design solutions;
- Assume professional responsibility for projects consisting of drawings, specifications, and other technical documents or that have been prepared and delivered by others under your direct supervision;
- Perform and coordinate field reviews, investigations, contract administration and quality assurance during all stages of consulting and construction projects;
- Be familiar with the various city and municipality building codes and standards; and
- Litigation research and report writing.
- Deliver projects on schedule and on budget - reviewing monthly project billing to analyze billed services and ensure accounts are up to date;
- Maintain full knowledge of project budgets on an ongoing basis, and pro-actively manage all project staff to ensure profitability and quality consistent with company expectations;
- Attend site/client meetings periodically to ensure senior involvement, improve project communication and build client relationships;
- Supervise and delegate to junior staff, providing guidance and direction, evaluating performance and giving feedback to promote constant improvement and high-quality services;
- Proactively seek opportunities to establish relationships with new clients and to maintain/improve relationships with existing ones;
- Demonstrate initiative by monitoring the demands of the market and working with management to develop a portfolio of services to meet demand and promote company growth;
- Attend project management meetings to discuss and implement strategic marketing opportunities; and
- Involvement in professional development opportunities such as industry committees, conferences, seminars, publications, and presentations.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in a team environment with humility and high attention to detail;
- Superb organizational, time management and coordination skills;
- Outstanding communication skills, verbal and written, including the ability to translate vague or complex requests into concrete actions;
- Self-starter with the flexibility to adjust to changing priorities and varied workloads;
For a more detailed job description, please visit our careers page at www.jrsengineering.com.
To apply, please send your resume with cover letter. Applications must have BEC-VR in the subject line.
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
** No phone calls and no recruiters, please **
Job Type: Full-time
- Building Science & Building Envelope: 5 years (Required)
- Master's Degree (Required)