We are a collegial law firm with our main office in Markham, currently seeking a talented Junior Law Clerk to join our team in Markham. The Junior Law Clerk shall start with assistance on mainly real estate files, as well as acting as a receptionist. However, there is opportunity for the clerk to explore other areas of our practice as well. This is an exciting opportunity for new graduates to join a growing firm with interesting work and a friendly environment while to exploring the various areas of a small business law firm.
- General organization and management of files to coordinate flow of information and work
- Initiate follow-up and communicate with clients, counsel, and courts as required
- Access and utilize online resources
- Provide support in all aspects of firm’s general practice: litigation, estates, corporate, employment law and real estate files.
- The law clerk’s main area of practice, however, will be real estate
- Draft legal documents and perform all tasks as may be required by the lawyer and senior staff
- Receptionist duties: answering phone, attend to visitors, attend to general inquiries by phone, email, and in person.
- Provide administrative support as required: typing, filing, mailing, photocopying, binding, scanning, maintain office cleanliness,
- Proficiency in MS Office 2010 (Word, Outlook, Excel, and Powerpoint), Adobe Acrobat, PCLaw, Westlaw, DivorceMate
- Proficiency in verbal and written communication skills in English
- Proficiency in verbal and written communication skills Mandarin and/or Cantonese is an asset.
- Availability to work overtime, when necessary
- Answer telephone, direct calls, respond to inquiries
- Various other duties as may be required
- dedication to providing high quality client service through customer service skills and interpersonal skills
- excellent written communication skills with the ability to present complex matters clearly and concisely
- focused on accuracy and attention to detail yet able to see the big picture
- able to handle multiple tasks and prioritize appropriately
- able to work independently as well as participating in and supporting a team
- able to identify problems, develop and evaluate options and implement solutions
- exceptional organization and time-management skills to work efficiently in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment
- able to keep information organized and confidential
Education and Experience
College graduate with Law Clerk certificate (or completion of the Institute of Law Clerks of Ontario Associate Level courses), ILCO certification, Customer service experience in an office setting preferred.
Based on experience, to be reviewed on an annual basis.
Interested candidates should forward their resume in confidence.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $30,000.00 to $35,000.00 /year
- customer service: 1 year (Preferred)
- receptionist: 1 year (Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)