Job Title: Program Manager
FTE: Full-Time (35 hours/week)
Vacancies: Two (4.5 years Contract/12-18 months Maternity Leave)
Location: Winnipeg Preferred, Waterloo Considered
Reports to: Director of Programs
Closing Date: December 1, 2019
Join a team that works towards creating a world where people live in justice, peace, and dignity. Canadian Lutheran World Relief (CLWR) is a charitable not-for-profit organization that challenges the causes and responds to the consequences of human suffering and poverty.
CLWR supports hiring practices and a staff composition that benefits from a diverse staff team, where “diverse” means (but is not limited to) differences in ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, physical abilities, religious beliefs, and/or political beliefs. Working for CLWR will provide you with a competitive salary, a supportive work environment, and excellent learning opportunities.
It is expected that all employees are in agreement with CLWR’s Mission Statement, Code of Conduct, and can work with its mandate within a faith-based environment. CLWR follows strict PSEA polices with a zero tolerance for any kind of exploitation and abuse.
Under the Direction of the Program Director, the Program Manager, a key member of the Program Team, is responsible for the management of a diverse portfolio of international development and humanitarian assistance projects funded by Global Affairs Canada (GAC), the Canadian Foodgrains Bank (CFGB), and other donors. The Program Manager is responsible for contributing to project and proposal development, managing project implementation, financial resource management, capacity building and will provide the necessary technical knowledge for CLWR’s partners in assigned project areas, encompassing humanitarian relief, development, and resilience.
Core Competencies required for this role: attention to detail, accountability, communication, decision making, planning and organizing, quality orientation, planning & organizing, problem-solving, self-motivation, teamwork, relationship building, pivoting, and multitasking.
Must be eligible to work in Canada. Must have a willingness to travel internationally to potentially unsafe areas is a requirement for this position.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
Minimum knowledge (formal education/general knowledge) required to perform the job competently:
· Master’s degree or equivalent education and experience in a relevant field
· Sound knowledge of current international development and/or humanitarian assistance theory, policy and practice
· Analysis and research skills
· Significant ongoing education and professional development
Minimum experience required to perform the job at a competent level:
· Experience managing complex humanitarian and development projects with budgets of $1M or more
· Project monitoring and evaluation, including the development of gender-senstive indicators
· Work or volunteer experience in the Global South
· Experience in writing successful funding proposals for GAC or CFGB funding
· Working knowledge of Global Affairs Canada and its current development programs, policies and development tools
· Understanding of international NGOs and donors
· Experience and/or specialization in one or more of the following programming areas: gender-responsive programming, humanitarian programming with displaced populations (IDPs or refugees), or food security programming
· Proficiency with results-based management methods and tools
Technical skills required to perform the job at a competent level:
· Excellent written and spoken communications skills in English
· Fluency in French (desirable)
· Ability to review, analyze and synthesize information to produce high quality project documents (including results monitoring frameworks)
· Strong communication and interpersonal abilities
· Good initiative and organizational competencies
· Above-average computer skills, including data analysis, and Microsoft Office
Leadership skills required to perform the job at a competent level:
· Able to work independently and as part of a team
· Ability to speak with confidence, from knowledge base, effectively communicating technical information
· Able to establish priorities in a time-sensitive environment, and meet deadlines with strong attention to detail
· Strong ability to multi-task
· Ability to travel internationally to high risk areas for 1-3 weeks at a time, multiple times a year
· Ability to work occasional evenings or weekends as required by special events/circumstances
· Manual dexterity required to use desktop or laptop computer
· Sitting for long periods of time
Qualified applicants should email a cover letter outlining how you meet the above criteria, your resume, which vacancy you prefer, and salary expectations. Closing date is December 1, 2019. Please quote ‘PM Position’ in your subject line.
Job Type: Contract