LOCATION: Selkirk Seniors Village
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Working under the supervision of the Housekeeping & Laundry Supervisor, and working cooperatively with other employees, the housekeeper performs a variety of duties including the cleaning of resident’s rooms, offices and other areas as assigned to meet the goals and objectives of the organization within the mission, vision, values and strategic directions. Performs duties following policies and procedures and ensures safety for residents/patients and staff. Housekeeper participates in continuous quality improvement of the services provided.
Includes but not limited to:
- Clean areas such as floors, stairways, walls, windows and walkways by method such as sweeping, spot washing and damp mopping. Clean carpets, rugs and upholstery by methods such as vacuuming, shampooing, brushing and shaking.
- Clean items such as furniture, woodwork, ledges, fixtures and blinds by methods such as dusting, polishing and wiping.
- Clean and disinfects washrooms and replenishes items such as soap and towels.
- Strips and makes beds; clean and tidies items such as cupboards, lockers, basins and tables; hangs and removes items such as drapes and bed curtains.
- Empties and cleans waste containers and removes garbage from building.
- Locks windows and doors following facility security procedures.
- Reports damaged and/or in operable fixtures and furniture to leader or uses preventative maintenance system to request repair.
- Clear snow from building entrances if required.
- Help remove furniture from rooms and put in storage area.
- Maintain related equipment by cleaning and replacing items such as filter bags.
- Communicates with clients while performing work and relays information to appropriate service provider if required. Respects client’s privacy and knocks before entering a client’s room.
- When working as a 1st responder responds to all emergency calls via pager immediately ensuring the safety of all equipment in use is safely stored prior to answering call(s). Follows protocols outlined in first responder training session.
- When working as a 1st responder follows schedule provided for cleaning of tenant suite suites and common AL areas.
- Participates in improving service by identifying opportunities for quality improvement and by providing ideas.
- Will be assigned to perform duties in other departments such as laundry or dietary if required.
- All assignments required to meet the operational needs of the organization.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Job requires grade 10 or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- WHIMIS certification a requirement.
- Food Safe Certification
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Ability to deal with others effectively
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position
- Ability to organize work
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Ability to be sensitive to client needs and provide accurate and detailed information.
- Be positive and supportive.
- Compliance with all Acts, Regulations, Policies and Protocols relevant to the position.
- Identify and report safety concerns.
- Explain requirements in a constructive and helpful manner.
Job Type: Casual
Salary: $16.50 to $17.54 /hour
- housekeeping: 1 year (Preferred)
- Secondary School (Preferred)
- WHMIS (Preferred)
- Food Safe (Preferred)