- Enter notes regarding case progress as required
- Conduct daily room checks for cleanliness, completion of daily chores, and maintenance
- Conduct weekly house meetings to identify issues or concerns among residents, and to assign weekly tasks to residents
- Report maintenance issues including urgency to Maintenance Worker
- Oversee common areas, including yard for appropriate use; address and/or report unacceptable behaviour
- Maintain supplies in linen cupboard for distribution to residents as required; coordinate with Reception Clerk for replenishment
- Screen visitors
- Enforce house rules; perform weekly room checks; ensure that prohibited items are not brought into shelter, and/or remove them
- Other duties as assigned
Job Type / Category
Salary: $20.64 per hour + 4% vacation pay, as per collective agreement.
Hours: Variable (Overnight availability is required.)
Reporting directly to the Program Manager, the Relief Shelter Support worker is responsible for conducting emergency intakes, assisting new residents in settling in and providing support, feedback, behaviour management, input and/or crisis intervention to clients on issues of daily living relating to precipitating issues.
Required Education, Skills and Qualifications
- Post secondary degree or diploma in Social Services or other related field combined with relative experience
- Demonstrated commitment to excellence in client service
- Demonstrated knowledge of social service systems in Toronto
- Proven ability to problem solve, cope with and de-escalate difficult behaviour
- Initiative, reliability and ability to work positively as a member of a multi-disciplinary team
- Ability to perform housekeeping procedures
- Commitment to completing mandatory Hostel Standards, Health and Safety and First Aid and CPR training.
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
The Red Door Family Shelter is one of the largest family shelters in the City of Toronto and has been delivering support services to homeless families, abused women and their children for over 25 years.
We are currently seeking 3 Relief Shelter Support Workers (Casual) for both our shelters. All selected candidates will have a passion for our work and a commitment to the provision of excellent client services.
Job Type: Casual
- Shelter Work: 1 year (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)
- Standard First Aid and CPR (Required)