Due to the COVID-19 outbreak we are currently pausing all in-person interviews. We will continue to review applications and phone screen short listed applicants. Please note that the interviewing process may take longer than usual due to postponing in-person interviews. We thank all those interested in employment at Alexander College and appreciate your understanding during this time. The safety of our students, staff, and faculty is Alexander College’s number one priority, and we are actively reviewing this changing situation on a daily basis and following the recommendations of the BC Health Authority.
The Controller oversees all Financial and Accounting activities which include budget management, forecasting, financial analysis, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable and financial reporting. The Controller also develop, document, implement the financial policies systems and procedures of an establishment and ensure the reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles.
Reports to the Director of Finance/VP of Operations/Shareholders
Full time, Permanent
The Controller is expected to work during regular business hours (Monday to Friday, 9:00am to 5:30pm) for a total of 40 hours per week.
Primarily located at our Burnaby campus but requires flexibility to travel between, and work at, Vancouver and Burnaby campuses as required (both accessible by transit).
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Minimum five years of experience in a controller role or relevant experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance
- Chartered professional accountant (CPA) designation is required
- Exceptional proficiency in Quickbooks Pro/Quickbooks Enterprise and Microsoft Office 365
- Proficient in ADP, PCP is an asset.
- Friendly, detailed oriented, and well-organized individual
- Strong ability to proactively, critically, and collaboratively problem solve
- Excellent coordination, organizational and leadership skills
- Superior teamwork capabilities can coordinate, communicate, and work with other departments
- Superior oral and written communication skills
- Remarkable ability to establish and maintain relationships with representatives of external financial partners
- Strong ability to take initiative and complete tasks as assigned
- Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate all finance and accounting operational functions
- Develop and implement accounting policies and procedures
- Ensure that the accounting system properly reflects the company’s situation
- Ensure the reported results comply with government reporting requirements and generally accepted accounting principles
- Execute financial analysis, develop appropriate remedial recommendations and report to senior management
- Manage the production of the annual budget and forecasts, analyze and correct estimates
- Conduct internal auditing on all accounting operations
- File Government remittances (GST, PST, EHT, WCB, etc.)
- Perform month-end close: maintain various schedule such as fixed assets and related amortization schedules, book month-end adjusting entries and reconcile bank statements
- Prepare timely and accurate financial reports, working papers and continuity schedules
- Prepare Monthly and Quarterly financial statements, summaries, and other cost-benefit analyses and financial management reports
- Coordinate all year-end procedures and prepare financials for tax purposes
- Work with all external audits (annual audit, government audit) and all external consultants
- Recruit, organize, train and manage staff
- Liaise with banks, insurance, bonding etc.
- Act as liaison between the company and its shareholders
- Notify and report to senior management concerning any trends that are critical to the company’s financial performance
- Other duties as assigned by senior management
HOW TO APPLY:
If you are interested in the above position and you would like to apply, please apply by visiting our careers page here: https://alexandercollege.ca/about-us/careers/ and e-mail your cover letter and resume with the e-mail title being “*[Your full-name]_Controller 2020*”. Please note that applications without a cover letter will not be accepted. In your cover letter, be sure to tell us what you would bring to the team and why you’d be perfect for this role. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. No phone calls please. Thank you!
The position will be open until filled.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- similar role: 5 years (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)