Job Description – Maintenance Technician
Duration of Position: Permanent, Part-Time or Full-Time
4 or 5 days/week, 32-40 hours.
Required are Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday (negotiable are Tuesday or Thursday)
About the Position
The Maintenance Technician is part of the team responsible for keeping the Museum site and its buildings maintained, safe, clean and tidy, and open for business. Reporting to the Supervisor, Maintenance, Maintenance team members can be assigned to a variety of items ranging from simple maintenance and cleaning tasks to assisting with the creation of new exhibit components and technical inspections of a variety of electronics and mine equipment.
Who are WE?
The Museum is an award-winning education-focused tourist attraction that features the iconic Mill building, a National Historic Site. TripAdvisor is consistently 4.5 stars and the Museum has a well-recognized brand in the Metro Vancouver and Squamish area. The Museum is located just 15 minutes south of Squamish and 30 minutes north from Vancouver on the Sea to Sky Highway and is a not for profit organization. We underwent significant rebranding and renovations in 2010 and have been continuing to grow and innovate ever since. Current visitation is 76,000 and BOOM! is designed to grow visitation to 110,000 by 2022.
Position Details & Benefits
- Regular Full-time, 4 or 5 days/week, dependent on candidate’s availability and interest. Schedule will be Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday (negotiable are Tuesday or Friday)
- Full Squamish Chamber of Commerce Benefits Plan after 3 months.
- Wage is dependent on experience and to be discussed during the interview process.
- Completion of a Criminal Record Check is required for all employees, as per Britannia Mine Museum’s policy.
- 2 weeks’ of paid vacation, with the potential for additional time off as unpaid LOA if requested.
- A positive and casual work environment, with the opportunity to work on a historic site with unique grounds, equipment and buildings.
- Note that there is no public transportation to Britannia Mine Museum.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Performing detailed daily inspections of the site and its assets for maintenance and safety purposes:
- Tunnel condition and Interpretive mine equipment operation
- Mill Show technical components
- Site A/V equipment
- Site buildings
- Utilizing reclaimed lumber for repairs to heritage buildings
- Painting new and old buildings both inside and out
- Completing building maintenance tasks as directed by the Supervisor
- Performing scheduled preventative maintenance tasks
- Assisting with larger renovation projects
- Assisting the Education team with certain projects
- Assisting with site event preparation and execution
- Skid-steer machine operation
- Site winterization and snow removal duties
- Documenting your work as appropriate
- Other duties as assigned
The Maintenance Technician will also be responsible for covering custodial duties as required when the dedicated Custodian is on off days. A brief outline of duties includes:
- Ensuring site washrooms are cleaned on a prescribed schedule to a high level of detail
- Sweeping and mopping interior floors as required
- Emptying garbage bins and sorting recycling
- Ensuring the outdoor spaces are clear of general waste
- Documenting your work as appropriate
Qualifications Required and/or Preferred
- Minimum 1 year in a Maintenance or Operations role, or other combination of skills and experience
- Strong familiarity with safe use of hand and small power tools
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to work effectively and collaboratively with various departments and individuals
- Carpentry experience preferred, other trades experience will be considered an asset such as electrical, plumbing, HVAC, or general mechanical
- Heavy equipment operation experience (skid steer, manlifts, etc.) desirable
- Legally allowed to work in Canada
- Knowledge of WHMIS/SDS, will train right candidate
- OFA Level 1, can be acquired after hiring
- Reliable transportation – no transit services to Britannia Beach
The Ideal Candidate
- You have a keen attention for detail
- You can perform your duties without direct supervision and with a sense of initiative
- You're a team player, dependable, and know the importance of time management
- You get along well with others, and can communicate effectively and professionally with colleagues and customers
- You can lift 35kg/77lb
- A successful job offer will include a requirement to complete a criminal record check. This is in accordance with the Museum’s Child and Vulnerable People Code of Conduct.
Job Type: Full-time