Overall Purpose: Under the direction of the Supervisor: Kennel or Veterinarian, Chief Veterinarian, the Assistant: Veterinary Technician is responsible for providing medical and other services for shelter and other animals.
Start Date: ASAP
Hours of work: Casual, as required
Professional Responsibilities include:
- Provide medical and general animal assessment services
- Monitor animal health and well-being
- Provide prescribed treatments and other medical interventions
- Clean and maintain animal holding areas
- Assist and support clients as required
- Assist the veterinary technician and veterinarians as required
Education and Experience:
- A diploma or certificate in animal care, or
- 1 to 2 years relevant experience, or
- A combination thereof
- Demonstrated excellent customer service, crisis management and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced and demanding environment and to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Demonstrated ability to relate well to people from a wide variety of backgrounds
- Excellent verbal and written skills in English are required
- Bilingualism (English/French) is preferred
Essential duties and working conditions:
- Employees will be required to work evening, holiday and weekend shifts
- Employment is conditional upon the ability to provide services in a safe manner, including, but not limited to lifts and transfers of large animals.
- Employees will be required to wear a uniform designated by the employer
- Employment is conditional upon the ability to work around all species of animals safely
- Employment is conditional upon maintaining confidentiality of OHS information
The Ottawa Humane Society is an equal opportunity employer. The OHS offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes. If you are contacted by the OHS regarding a job opportunity, please advise prior to the interview if you require accommodation.
Only successful candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Job Type: Casual
Salary: $19.01 to $23.12 /hour
- Assistant Veterinary Technician: 1 year (Required)
- English (Required)
- French (Preferred)