The Activities team lead is accountable to the Appointed Director for the day-to-day management of the recreation activities and volunteer services within the Life Enrichment Department. Through effective management of all resources in the recreation budget and development of a strong team, the Activities team lead will ensure the delivery of optimal service, based on legislative requirements and OGM’s standards.
The Activities team lead is required to perform their duties in a manner consistent with The Salvation Army’s Ottawa Grace Manor values, ensure resident safety, and demonstrate customer service excellence.
Responsible for planning, organizing, managing, and evaluating daily operations and activity programs of the Life Enrichment Department to ensure programs meet the physical, social, and emotional needs of the residents.
Scope, Authority, Terms of Reference
1. The Activities team lead provides direct leadership to Activity Assistants.
2. This position is responsible for provision of programs to meet the psycho-social, emotional, intellectual, and recreational needs of the residents.
· Identifies and assesses the recreation needs of residents
· Create and promote activity entertainment and outing bookings
· Create, plan & coordinate monthly calendars of events
· Evaluates group and individual programs, on an ongoing basis
· Preparing daily task sheets and finalizing the monthly calendars for all the floors in consultation with primary Activity Aides on units.
· Participates In interdisciplinary care conferences
· Attend quarterly residents activity planning meetings
· Liaise with baby groups, preschool, schools, scouts, student placements, etc. to building relationships and increase volunteer groups to support the enrichment of our residents.
· Manage activity schedules and changes relating to providers (e.g music therapist, fish care etc)
· Order or purchase activity supplies as required
· Organizing special events for residents
· Preparing monthly report for Life Enrichment
· Facilitate Resident Council meetings including scheduling, booking meeting room, sending invitations and circulating minutes.
· Other duties as assigned
· Manage petty cash for the resident council bank account
· In collaboration with appointed Director, and the Employee Relations Advisor: Actively participates in the processes of Hiring, Orienting, Supervising, Evaluating, Discipline and termination of employees within the Department while respecting the Collective Agreement.
· Interprets the facility human resources policies and procedures and collective agreement
· Creates and maintains monthly schedule for the life enrichment department
Education and Experience:
· Post-secondary diploma or degree in recreation and leisure studies, therapeutic recreation, kinesiology or other related field of study from a community college or university, preferably supplemented by management courses or relevant experience.
· Demonstrated skill in management of personnel and volunteers desirable
· Experience in a similar position in long term care facility is desirable.
· Minimum of 3 years related experience in a geriatric long-term care facility or similar setting.
· High energy
· Organized, self- starter
· Passionate about enriching the lives of our residents
· Able to demonstrate or commit to a resident centred leadership style.
· Must be able to communicate effectively in English both verbally and written.
· Must possess the personal qualities and attitudes that respect and maintain the spirit, dignity, and individuality of the residents and staff.
· Must be able to cope effectively with fast pace and job stress.
· Must maintain a professional appearance in dress and grooming at all times.
· Must be able to obtain the cooperation of and work closely with all Department Managers, employees, volunteers, and families to ensure that the residents’ physical, psychological, and social needs are met.
· Must have excellent interpersonal communication skills including the ability to coach.
· Willing to work flexible hours to fulfill the position requirements.
· A clear vulnerable sector screening
· A clean drivers abstract
· Participate in online Armatus Abuse Training, Health and Safety training required upon hire.
Contract length: 16 months
Job Type: Temporary
Salary: $23.87 - $24.43 per hour