LEAD ESTIMATOR – JJM Construction Ltd.
JJM Construction is one of British Columbia’s leading heavy civil and marine construction contractors. Building on a foundation of safety, quality and performance, JJM is committed to innovation and environmental stewardship—pushing the industry forward while remaining mindful of the planet.
Managing heavy civil projects on both land and water, JJM has the experience, resources, and management capability to ensure the safe and successful completion of every job. Our strength is in mass and precision excavation and materials handling on land and water. We tackle projects large or small, simple or complex. We own and operate a large equipment fleet, always focusing on finding smarter and more creative ways to get the job done quickly and efficiently.
JJM is a well-established and family-owned enterprise with a reputation for delivering quality and value. We have a long history of working throughout Western Canada and the Pacific Northwest.
The Lead Estimator will be responsible for preparing complete, accurate estimates for all contract types and will prepare construction contract proposal estimates, for one or more disciplines, from concept to submission. The Lead Estimator works with clients, architects/engineers, subcontractors/ suppliers to plan cost factors for building projects; analyzes construction documents, specifications, proposals, and other documentation to prepare time, cost, and labour estimates for projects.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare and/or coordinate the preparation of full cost estimates on conceptual, design-build or general tender work.
- Review proposal specifications, engineering drawings and blueprints to determine scope of work and required contents of the estimate.
- Identify the true cost of items (labour, material and equipment) at every stage of the process.
- Manage time to ensure that bids are completed and delivered on time.
- Prepare detailed accurate material, labor, equipment, subcontracts, construction facilities, etc. estimates.
- Foster relationships with subcontractors and suppliers.
- Develop and review subcontractor scopes of work and accept, review, and analyze subcontractor quotes for best value.
- Prepare project bid status reports and ensure compliance with all specifications and contract Statements of Work and Bid Invitations.
- Present cost estimates to meet customer proposals, providing consideration for general and special conditions.
- Prepare scope specifications and requirements, prepare and inputs project schedule, perform quantity takeoffs, prepare cost summary sheets, and input quantities into estimating software.
- Maintain an accurate, current database of cost codes of accounts for historical data
- Utilize the appropriate company and industry historical data for pricing estimates.
- Prepare supplier and subcontractor bid solicitations and coordinate price solicitation process.
- Help maintain supplier, subcontractor and material pricing databases.
- Maintain files of working documents as back-up for estimate figures, including current (accurate) information on prices from suppliers.
- Willing to work additional hours as required.
- Able to travel to meet the demands of the project.
- Responsible for mentoring.
Education, Skills and Knowledge
- 7-10 years related Estimating Experience.
- Completion of a University Degree/Technology Diploma in Civil Engineering, or a combination of education and related industry experience.
- Experience in working with spreadsheets, databases, estimating packages, take-off packages and scheduling packages.
- Strong computer skills and ability to use department software is necessary.
- Proficient in MS Office (Excel, Word and Outlook).
- Experience in AutoCAD, Primavera and MS Project an asset.
- Previous experience with job task planning, decision making and problem-solving.
- Ability to assume responsibility and to interface and communicate effectively with others, have strong interpersonal skills and be self-motivated.
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal).
- Ability to lead by example.
- Detail orientated with an analytical mindset.
- Enthusiasm for change and new initiatives.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- The ability to work both independently and in a team environment and willingness to assume additional or new responsibilities readily.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and have a clean driving record.
This is a permanent full-time position. Compensation is competitive and includes a comprehensive benefits package. If you are interested in this opportunity, please email your resume and details to Gary Muuren, Director of Human Resources.
We appreciate your interest in working for JJM. Only those individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Estimating: 5 years (Required)
- heavy civil estimating: 5 years (Required)