Situated in the Annapolis Valley, Lightfoot & Wolfville Vineyards is one of Nova Scotia’s newest wineries, officially open to the public in the summer of 2017. Owned and operated by the Lightfoot family who have been farming in the Annapolis Valley for eight generations, Lightfoot & Wolfville provides a truly unique farm winery experience. Embracing organic and biodynamic agriculture, this estate nurtures not only 40 acres of vineyard but also raises heritage breed livestock and grows its own produce for the winery kitchen. With close proximity to the Minas Basin and the world’s highest tides, cool breezes and excellent temperature moderation help create wines with great distinction. The new hospitality facility features a wine shop, tasting room, wood-fired pizza oven and patio where guests can enjoy stunning views of Cape Blomidon. The barrel cellar and marquee tent among the vines provide the perfect venue for special events from weddings, to social, and corporate gatherings.
The Pastry Chef Assistant prepares a variety of desserts, pastries, or other sweet goods. The Pastry Chef Assistant is well versed in culinary arts with a passion for sweet and delicious creations. Must possess a positive attitude, confidence, patience and an ability to think quickly whilst managing many tasks simultaneously.
Position Duties & Responsibilities:
- Prepare a wide variety of goods such as cakes, cookies, pies, breads, etc following traditional and modern recipes.
- Decorate pastries using different icings, toppings, etc to ensure the presentation is esthetically pleasing.
- Check quality of material and condition of equipment and devices used for cooking.
- Guide and motivate kitchen team members to work more efficiently.
- Maintain a clean and orderly cooking station.
- Comply with and follow all Lightfoot & Wolfville health and safety policies and procedures.
- Develop comprehensive understanding of Lightfoot & Wolfville wine portfolio, business pillars and philosophies, and outstanding hospitality standard.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Food Safety Certification
- 1 – 2 years or more experience as Pastry Cook, baker or relevant role or Diploma in Baking & Pastry Arts
- Great attention to detail and creativity
- Organizing and leadership skills
- Willingness to replenish professional knowledge
- In depth knowledge of sanitation principles, food preparation and baking techniques and nutrition
- Working knowledge of baking with ingredient limitations (pastries that are gluten free, sugarless, etc)
- Customer focused approach and patience
- Problem solving and decision-making skills
- Attentiveness and patience for customers
- Excellent presentation skills
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills, with the ability to perform well in a fast-paced environment
- Active listening and effective communication skills
- Team spirit
- Flexibility to work in shifts with ability to work days, evenings, weekends, holidays
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
Salary: $13.00 to $15.00 /hour
- Pastry Cook: 1 year (Preferred)