Specialty Chef- Gelato Maker and Pastry
Position: Gelato Maker and Pastry Chef (Specialty Chef/Gelatiere)
Language: English (Above Average written and spoken)
Job Type: Full-Time, Permanent
Start Date of Employment: As soon as possible
Minimum Education: High School diploma
Positions Available: 1
NOC Group: (6321)
NOC Job Title: Food Service Supervisor
Job Address: 1222 Robson Street V6C 1C1 – 1094 Denman Street V6G 2M8
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
About the Company:
D’oro Gelato e Caffè has two locations one in the beautiful high end shopping district of Robson Street and one on the beach side district “West End”. For almost two decades, this Italian Artisan Gelateria has been producing small batches of the most delightful gelato and sorbetto, gelato cakes, froze and semi frozen desserts, biscotti and pastries. Visit www.dorogc.com.
A Gelato Maker/Gelatiere and Pastry Chef will measure, mix, cook, process and freeze ingredients to make gelato, sorbetto, frozen desserts, gelato cakes and various Italian pastries, biscotti and desserts.
You are interested and willing to assist in all facets of crafting high quality Gelato, Sorbetto, Pastries and Italian Desserts . You are clean, responsible, and hard working. You have the ability to juggle many tasks and produce large quantities of product during peak seasonal periods. You possess the ability to work in an easy going but results oriented team environment with focus and dedication. Additionally, you will assist in proper maintenance of the laboratory, working areas and equipment and other related daily activities.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Plan and direct frozen and non-frozen preparation processing and baking activities.
· Consult with clients regarding specialty gelato, frozen cakes and other such product orders
· Ability to lift at least 50-lbs, stand and work for long hours and perform other physically demanding tasks on a daily basis without getting tired
· Plan, develop, create new and enhance existing recipes and ensure product meets quality standards
· Manage and order ingredient and product inventory as required and including supplies
· Estimate finished product cost
· Supervise activities of assistants to you
· Maintain in good working order and arrange for equipment maintenance and repairs
· Capable of following and or creating recipes accurately and memorizing volumetric measurements
· Follow directives
· Communicate effectively and directly with food service supervisors and colleagues
· Ensure compliance with all Food Safety Standards
· Management of all ordering and acceptance of daily deliveries and ability to keep things within set cost margins with suppliers
· Work with Food service supervisors to maintain dessert and gelato display show cases presentation
· Maintain organization of laboratory and work areas, including organization and cleanliness of fridges, freezers and work and storage areas
· Conduct daily quality checks of products
· A genuine passion and knowledge for pastries, deserts and frozen and semi frozen products and gelato.
· Prior relevant experience constructing cakes, gelato or ice cream making, chocolate making
· Management and supervision experience is a plus
· Dependable and hard-working
· Sociable and friendly attitude. We believe personality is your biggest asset!
· Must be meticulously clean and aware of all food safety standards
· Computer savvy and competent with Microsoft Office Suite
· Must be able to stand for extended periods and lift at least 50 lbs.
This position reports to: General Manager
EOE Statement We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $21.70 per hour