MacEwan University inspires students with a powerful combination of academic excellence and personal learning experiences – ours is a connected culture that focuses on learner-centered teaching, and on providing opportunities for students to grow and achieve.
The university provides a transformative education in a creative, collaborative and supportive learning environment. 19,000 full- and part-time students are enrolled in more than 65 programs: four-year undergraduate degrees, applied degrees, university transfer programs and one- and two-year diploma and certificates. Additional offerings include university preparation, English as an Additional Language, professional and personal development courses and workshops, corporate training and the Conservatory of Music.
The International Student Specialist reports to the Manager, International Student Services and works with a team to support the international student population at MacEwan University. This position is responsible for supporting international student integration and academic success through retention initiatives and both academic and immigration advising. The international specialist will work with the international student services team to develop, deliver, and enhance a broad range of services customized for international students to foster success and persistence.
The incumbent will advise and support international students towards completion of a MacEwan University credential through programming and individual meetings.
Duties will include:
- Meeting students individually to discuss goals, study options, support services, program requirements, and academic policies.
- Providing student-focused immigration compliance information and advice to current international students through presentations and individual appointments.
- Aiding new international students through post-acceptance, pre-arrival, enrolment, orientation, and settlement stages.
- Maintaining and communicating a broad understanding of admission criteria, programs of study, program and institutional graduation regulations, English language proficiency requirements, academic and student service policies, administrative procedures, and immigration law.
- Collaborating with various programs and student service units at the university to ensure international students are successful and advised appropriately.
- Contributing to the development and delivery of a comprehensive set of retention services that aid international student integration into the academic and social culture of the university and persistence towards completion of a MacEwan University credential.
- Advises and enrolls inbound exchange students from partner universities.
This is a full-time continuing opportunity.
The successful candidate will possess the following skills and abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with non-native English speakers from diverse backgrounds through oral and written mediums.
- Additional language(s) other than English that contribute to linguistic diversity at MacEwan International.
- Creative, professional, and flexible in approach to problem solving.
- Demonstrated ability of service program development and implementation.
- Highly organized with excellent time-management skills.
- Intermediate-level computer skills in Microsoft Office suite, Webex, PeopleSoft Campus Solutions and queries.
The successful candidate may be required to occasionally work outside of regular hours, such as early mornings, evenings and weekends.
- A four-year baccalaureate degree is required. A degree in the social sciences, humanities, or education is preferred.
- Regulated International Student Immigration Advisor (RISIA) in good standing with the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC) required. Individuals with a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) designation will also be considered, based on their experience advising in a post-secondary environment.
- Individuals who have successfully completed the International Students and Immigration Education Program (ISIEP) offered through the Canadian Bureau for International Education (CBIE) or an ICCRC accredited immigration practitioner program (IPP) and who are in the stage of preparing for their Full Skills Exam may also be considered.
- Two years of experience advising or delivering information to students at a Canadian educational institution, preferably at the post-secondary level.
- Formal education or professional development training in intercultural competencies and communication or personal cross-cultural experience (i.e. studying or working in a non-English speaking country; teaching ESL abroad preferred)
When you become part of the MacEwan team, you will enjoy a competitive salary. Our total compensation package includes:
How to Apply:
- Competitive base pay
- Generous vacation time
- Secure pension plan
- Excellent benefits package
- Effective recognition and retention programs
- Continuous learning culture
- Opportunities for career growth
Only applications received electronically will be considered. To apply, go to http://www.macewan.ca/careers and select the job posting.
Thank you for your interest in employment with MacEwan University. We will be reviewing all applications to select the candidates whose qualifications and experience most closely meet our needs. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
This position is included under the MacEwan Staff Association Collective Agreement. Please note, initial salary placement for external candidates is limited to the first five steps of the salary grid.
MacEwan University is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We encourage Indigenous people, persons living with a disability, sexual and gender minorities, women, and members of all minority groups to apply and to self-identify. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.