- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field.
- Minimum of 6 years enterprise IT application experience that includes at least 2 years of hands-on software development, infrastructure engineering, or systems architecture.
- Possess both technical and customer-facing skills that will allow him or her to be a "trusted advisor" to customers. He or she will be able to facilitate relationships with senior personnel, as well as easily interact and give guidance to software developers, IT pros, and system architects. The ideal candidate will also have a demonstrated ability to think strategically about business, product, and technical challenges.
- Exposure to security concepts / best practices
- Working knowledge of modern software development practices and technologies such as agile methodologies and DevOps is highly desired.
- Ability to develop TCO models and assess business impacts, ROI etc highly desirable.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills are a must, as well as the ability to work effectively across internal and external organizations and virtual teams.
- A talent for being able to influence and build mindshare convincingly with any audience. Confident and experienced in public speaking to large audiences.
If you are passionate about improving the digital experiences for students and citizens by enabling digital transformation in the government, non-profit and education sectors through innovative application of cloud technologies, then please read on. Our public sector customers are transforming the way government services are developed and delivered via the AWS cloud. The Customer Innovation Center (CIC pronounced “kick”) team is looking for technology savvy cloud computing architects to collaborate with our public sector government, education, and non-profit customers as they implement innovative cloud computing solutions and solve new technical problems.
The core mission of the CIC is to improve digital experiences for students and citizens globally by providing an independent platform where government, education, and non-profits can accelerate their own implementation of replicable public sector cloud successes. The CIC does this by addressing specific digital transformation Innovation Challenges that are of critical importance to the public sector. The CIC is a vehicle to enable public sector customers to experience the Amazon innovation process and adapt it as needed to their unique situation.
A Innovation Challenge is any problem or opportunity that end customers deem significant in their community/domain and that relies at least partially on information technologies. Tangible problems such as optimizing utilization of police body camera data, tracking water quality, or sharing city transportation data are examples of potential Innovation Challenges. The Innovation Challenge can be thought of as a rapid product development lifecycle that identifies technology alternatives and may result in a prototype. Each Innovation Challenge is in itself a time-bound project that must be planned, marketed, and managed to completion.
The Solution Architect plays a critical role by infusing the latest cloud computing technologies, application architectures, and integration approaches into each Innovation Challenge. This includes incorporating AWS well-architected methods, resiliency best practices, and appropriate regulatory & compliance measures. You will work with representatives of customers and partners involved in Innovation Challenges as well as with technical resources across Amazon Web Services to ensure Innovation Challenges are properly focused and technology goals are achieved. An ability to adapt quickly to varied customers and work cooperatively with subject matter experts is essential.
In addition, the Solution Architect documents technical alternatives and the results of tests so that Innovation Challenge results can benefit AWS customers and inform future Innovation Challenges. He or she will have the opportunity to interface with other CICs in other geographies and include international AWS account teams, customers, and partners. This naturally will require a ‘think global, act local’ perspective in the approach taken to defining, contextualizing, prioritizing, and delivering results.
You will be one of three members of a dynamic CIC team bringing the latest in disruptive, cutting-edge cloud computing technologies to bear on the difficult cost and agility Innovation Challenges facing many public sector organizations. The other two members are a Digital Innovation Lead and a Project Manager.
Position is located in Vancouver, Canada. Ability to travel locally and within Canada and US at least once every month for periods of one week or less at a time. Travel requirement out of State will be infrequent and be primarily in Canada.
- Design Customer Solutions, own the technical engagement and ultimate success around specific Innovation Challenge projects; defining potential implementation architectures.
- Collaborate with AWS sales and support teams to help partners and customers learn and use AWS Services.
- Devise strategy and engage with Solution Architects, Account Managers Professional Services and Partners to define a technology approach to a customer business problem.
- Provide thought leadership on various Innovation Challenge-derived solutions that benefit customers through the use of AWS Services. This takes the form of contribution to external publications such as the AWS Big Data Blog, White papers and Reference architectures, as well as internal training of Solution Architects, Professional Services Consultants, Technical Account Managers, and AWS Partners.
- Create Assets which capture and share best-practice knowledge across the wider CIC and AWS solution architect community.
- A personal passion to make things better through the resourceful and effective application of IT.
- A commitment to work with public sector mission owners to expose effective solutions that improve the delivery of government services to citizens.
- Experience managing full application stacks from the Operating System up through Front End applications. Understanding of application, server, and network security is highly desired
- Executive speaking and presentation skills – Formal presentations, white boarding, large and small group presentations.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.