Highbridge Human Capital is delighted to represent Alkan Air in its search for a VP of Finance & Corporate Affairs. Alkan Air is a flight solutions company with over 40 years of experience in commercial and personal chartered flights in conjunction with operating a flight academy. Alkan Air provides quality and excellence in all aspects of the organization while ensuring the highest level of safety; seamless customer service and providing a safe, engaging and healthy workplace that people are inspired to be a part of. Their diverse fleet can get their customers wherever they need to go.
Additionally, Alkan Air’s Flight Academy is a professional flight school located in Canada’s North. Their guiding principle is to inspire people to achieve excellence in ones chosen path in aviation. They provide high quality aviation education for both recreational and career pilots supported by experienced staff and advanced equipment and facilities. Their school culture balances fun and adventure with professionalism and safety for a relaxed but effective learning environment. Alkan Air’s unique location enables students to experience many types of flying experiences to create well rounded and capable pilots.
Our client is currently looking for a dynamic VP of Finance & Corporate Affairs. Reporting to the President & CEO this position is a high-impact member of the organization and will act as an intermediary between the Management team and the Executive team. The VP of Finance & Corporate Affairs will oversee the Accounting, Payroll, Finance and Human Resources functions. With an emphasis on Finance, this role encompasses the varied facets of the modern Finance Leader and will be a steward and operator, strategist and a catalyst. The VP of Finance & Corporate Affairs will draw from their knowledge of what creates a high performing organization and translate that to the company's strategic priorities and activities; supporting the long-term vision.
If you have a passion for a high-growth environment and are committed to creating impact while seeking continuous improvement, we want to talk to you!
The Opportunity: A Day in the life of the VP of Finance & Corporate Affairs
As Alkan Air continues to grow, they will continue to deploy advanced ways of doing business that promote safety, service and innovation. As a key member of the Alkan Air team, the VP of Finance & Corporate Affairs will be expected to deal effectively in a fast paced, time-critical environment, while ensuring a professional manner at all times. As a member of the leadership team, the primary objective of the VP of Finance & Corporate Affairs is to lead the financial strategy and operations of the Company, to oversee the corporate divisions and to support Ownership when required. This role is responsible for leading the reporting and analytics capabilities to guide strategic decision making and to drive strong financial performance. As a senior leader of the organization, you will live and breathe the organization values of safety, teamwork, integrity, and commitment, and incorporate them into how you lead.
As a leader in Finance:
- You will directly oversee and support the finance and accounting team
- You will provide key financial analysis to shape management decisions, assist with the key management of annual budgets and inform leadership on the strategic direction of the organization
- You provide leadership to financial operations and oversee AR/AP, payroll, compliance, forecasting and bid and contract review.
- You assist in formulating the company's financial future direction and support tactical initiatives.
- You will lead the near- and long-term budgeting and forecasting process and coach managers in the financial acumen necessary to lead their lines of business.
- You will develop and monitor department and organization KPI’s used to gauge performance in terms of meeting strategic and operational goals.
- You will develop and maintain complete oversight of Fuel & Parts inventory.
- Responsible to ensure all CRA related documentation is submitted correctly and in a timely manner.
As a leader in Corporate Affairs:
- You will oversee and provide leadership to the day to day operations of Alkan Air in all non - operational areas such as Human Resources, Accounting, Payroll and Office Management.
- You will provide key financial analysis to shape management decisions and inform leadership on the strategic direction of the organization.
- You assist in formulating the company's future direction and support tactical initiatives.
The Fine Print
- Lead the weekly management team meetings and special management team events and trainings.
- Lead the near- and long-term budgeting and forecasting process and provide financial analysis, interpretation of variances from budgets and standards, and advice to management.
- You will create purposeful financial statements and provide timely trend analysis (monthly/quarterly/annually).
- Managing and providing mentorship to your team, you will lead the overall finance and accounting function through compliance and reporting activities.
- Identification and implementation of efficiency improvements in the finance and accounting department.
- You will prepare and provide job cost analysis and provide insight to leadership role
- Act as a secondary signer to the President
- You will create purposeful financial statements and provide timely trend analysis. You ensure accurate and timely recording and reporting of operating results.
- You will be responsible for ensuring security, integrity, and confidentiality of data.
- You coordinate preparation for external audits, ensuring proper maintenance of accounting records and documentation are in compliance with statutory requirements and Company policies.
- You will elevate the finance function and provide key financial analysis to shape management decisions and inform leadership on the strategic direction of the organization.
- You will be responsible for implementing financial operational best practices.
- You oversee the company's financial systems.
- You will establish internal control guidelines and monitor compliance and efficiencies of controls.
- You maintain banking relationships and arrange for debt and equity financing.
- You proactively monitor the bottom line and deliver EBITDA analysis to guide strategic planning
- Oversee Human Resource and support HR strategies, policies and procedures, which are consistent with corporate initiatives and legislative requirements
- Supervise, mentor and provide guidance to the full management team.
- You build relationships and alliances, internal and external, and develop an understanding of situations and culture within the organization to identify opportunities.
What you bring to the organization
- Minimum 10+ years in a Finance Leadership role.
- Professional qualification such as CPA/CFA preferred.
- MBA or BS/MA degree in Finance, Accounting or Economics.
- Ability to work a variety of shifts to support our 24/7 operation.
- Passion for developing people and teams. Ability to motivate people, assess and develop employee skills.
- Previous aviation industry experience preferred.
- Able to work in all business areas.
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to communicate effectively in high pressure and time sensitive situations.
- An advanced understanding of financial statistics and accounting principles.
- Proven office management and administrative skill set, including budgeting.
- Working knowledge of all statutory legislation and safety regulations.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated presentation, team building and advanced mentoring skills.
- Experience in a multi-location, multi Province and State environment preferred.
- Extensive understanding of financial trends both within the company and general market
Our “Must Haves” that make you great”
- You live the corporate values.
- You are self-aware, with a desire for constant self-development.
- You are passionate, energetic, and love a fast-paced, highly collaborative environment.
- You pride yourself on your attention to detail and strong problem-solving skills.
- You have an entrepreneurial spirit and you execute like an owner.
- You drive to continuously innovate to achieve great results.
- You communicate with honesty and kindness, and create the space for others to do the same.
- You have a passion for developing individuals and teams, with an ability to motivate people, assess and develop employee skills.
- A passion for outdoors critical to Northern Living
What we will provide
- Comprehensive benefits package including life & disability insurance, as well as an extended medical, vision and dental plan.
- Retention Bonus available.
- Standby privileges with local airline.
- Defined contribution matching pension plan program.
- A competitive salary based on experience.
- The position is eligible for performance-based salary increases & bonuses.
NOTE: Only those applicants under consideration will be contacted. Please accept our utmost appreciation for your interest. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Employment decisions are based on merit and business needs, and not on race, color, creed, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions or any other classification protected by federal, provincial and local laws and ordinances. Reasonable accommodation is available for qualified individuals with disabilities, upon request. This Equal Employment Opportunity policy applies to all practices relating to recruitment and hiring, compensation, benefits, discipline, transfer, termination and all other terms and conditions of employment. While management is primarily responsible for seeing that w equal employment opportunity policies are implemented, you share in the responsibility for assuring that, by your personal actions, the policies are effective.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Aviation: 1 year (Preferred)
- Finance: 5 years (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)