Position Title: Executive Assistant
Position Grade: E
Reports to: Director: Finance, Administration & Human Resources
Duration of Contract: Three-year term
Position Location: Burnaby, British Columbia
Commonwealth of Learning (COL) helps governments and institutions to expand the scale, efficiency and quality of learning by using new approaches, appropriate technologies, and open and distance learning (ODL) methodologies. Headquartered in British Columbia, COL promotes innovation and works with international partners to facilitate learning in support of sustainable development. It is financed by voluntary contributions from Commonwealth governments.
Overview of the Position:
The Executive Assistant performs secretarial and administrative duties for the Director and is required to exercise significant discretion and judgement. The Executive Assistant helps coordinate the efficient and effective administration of human resources, contract management and general office functions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists the Director in booking appointments, preparing for meetings and events, making travel arrangements and undertaking general administrative duties.
- Responds to routine enquiries and requests on a variety of matters; works within parameters established by the Director when preparing responses on complex matters; and assists in general correspondence.
- Files and retrieves information in accordance with sound administrative principles and COL’s filing requirements and maintains a confidential filing system for personnel and other matters.
- Oversees general reception activities which include staff leave roster and telephone lists, general supplies, office maintenance and other related areas including reception relief.
- Keeps the intranet current on relevant documents related to finance, administration and human resource matters including templates, policies, procedures, forms and statutory holidays.
- Assists in organising staff recruitments, relocations, official acceptances and in preparing staff contracts and other personnel related correspondence.
- Assists with orientation of new staff and coordinates the data for set up of payroll and other benefits and updates the information as needed.
- Lends support in all protocol matters for incoming international staff, maintains accurate and up to date human resources records on areas such as contracts, passport information, official acceptances, banking, security and insurance and liaises with official bodies as required.
- Reconciles staff leave records and assists in leave reporting.
- Helps to prepare and assure adherence to policies and procedures on all types of agreements including MOUs, contribution agreements and contracts; updates the relevant master tracking logs; and checks formatting and editing of these types of agreements before release.
- Ensures that agreements are in ready format for the appropriate approving officer, issues and files all final contracts and tracks the flow of the agreement files providing follow up notices when required.
- Maintains a tracking system to bring deadlines, issues and contractual timelines to the attention of the Director in a timely manner.
- Oversees office maintenance, ordering and printing of business cards, office stationery and other related documents and performs other duties upon request.
Direct Reports: There are no direct reports in this position.
Qualifications and Skills and Experience:
Post-secondary education in Business Administration, Human Resources or related area.
Five years of experience in a range of administrative roles supporting a senior level manager.
Advanced level proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
Some experience preparing routine agreements for a small to medium size organisation.
Some experience in human resource administration.
Formal training in the use of online tools for data and information management.
Work experience in government, an educational institution or not for profit setting.
- Communication – Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing with a wide network of contacts in a clear and concise manner that displays sensitivity to ethnic and gender issues. This includes excellent drafting skills for organisational related activities and use of discretion with highly confidential and sensitive information.
- Attention to Detail – Conscious of maintaining high standards of quality and accuracy with a good sense of follow through on tasks with the ability to consistently produce error-free output.
- Online Productivity Tools – Skills to use online productivity tools at an advanced level to create, retrieve, store and exchange information and with the ability to learn and adapt to new systems with ease.
- Organisation and Time Management – Ability to organise, prioritise and complete a range of assignments in a manner that efficiently utilises resources and optimises efficiency while maintaining high standards of quality and accuracy; shows persistence in overcoming obstacles; and ensures follow-through to desired results; is flexible in accepting variable and diverse assignments.
- Team Orientation – Ability to communicate effectively and work with others, both within and outside of COL, in a collaborative manner; openly shares information, knowledge and expertise with the team and co-workers; is open to feedback from team/co-workers; strong service focus.
- Commitment to the ideals of COL, notably to the role of education and learning as the key to sustainable development.
- Capacity to work in a multicultural office environment with a readiness to adapt to the work culture: time management, collegiality, quality, attention to detail and mutual respect.
To Apply: Interested applicants must provide a resume and cover letter highlighting their professional background and how it aligns with this position. Applications must be submitted by email to opportunities[AT]col[DOT]orgwith the subject: Executive Assistant position, at the latest by July 18, 2019.
COL Headquarters is located at 4710 Kingsway, Suite 2500, Burnaby, BC Canada V5H 4M2
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
- administrative assistant: 1 year (Preferred)
- English (Required)
- French (Preferred)