The YMCA of Northern BC serves 20,000 people of all abilities, backgrounds, and stages of life in
Prince George and Northern British Columbia. We are a growing, multi-service association that
offers health, fitness, and recreation, licensed childcare, rehabilitation services, community support
services, and summer camp. We offer competitive wages and a full benefits package to full time
staff. Employees are eligible for a complementary membership. The YMCA of Northern BC offers the
opportunity to join a strong and exuberant team in a workplace that embraces respect, honesty,
caring, and responsibility.
Purpose & Objective:
Reporting to the Philanthropy Supervisor, the individual will take an assistive role in administration
of volunteer services with the YMCA of Northern BC; including the recruitment, hiring and initial
training to the Association of volunteers. This role ensures volunteer programs, events and services
meet the needs of the YMCA of Northern BC and are consistent with the mission, vision, philosophy
and priorities of the association.
Key Responsibilities (not limited to):
- Recruits and orients Association volunteers by performing duties such as recruiting,
screening, interviewing and selecting applicants.
- Responsible to complete, obtain and maintain all Association volunteer human resources
paper work as per policy and assure compliance across the Association, including annual
reviews, child protection renewals and criminal records.
- Helps to develop position descriptions and viability of new volunteer role requests. Maintains
policies and procedures regarding volunteer programs and the use of volunteers within the
- Works collaboratively to develop programs and place volunteers into roles that build
intergenerational connections. Aims to serve seniors in our community by growing
opportunities for seniors to use their skills in volunteer positions.
- Works collaboratively with Coordinators to serve departments effectively while providing
volunteers with a place to connect. Communicates with Coordinators to ensure files are
implemented and maintained to the standards set by the Association. Coordinates with
department heads to complete annual volunteer feedback in timely fashion.
Volunteer Administrator Positing July 2019 Page 2 of 3
- Creates and fosters partnerships with affiliated and\or community partner programs such as
the Canadian Cancer Society, Volunteer PG, IMSS, etc. to leverage resources and knowledge
and attract volunteers.
- Recruits, schedules and directs special event volunteers as required.
- Represents Association and recruits volunteers at events and tradeshows and fairs as
- Assists with volunteer appreciation on behalf of the Association, including the annual
volunteer appreciation event and AGM.
- Various administration duties including filing and photocopying.
- Other duties set out in job description and as required.
1. Communication/Interpersonal Skills - Able to speak, write, listen and secure information in a
variety of settings. Have an ability to cooperate with others to achieve results and to create
and build relationships inside and outside the organization.
2. Planning/Organizing – Ability to establish a clearly defined and effective course of action for
self and others to accomplish short and long term goals.
3. Problem Solving – Ability to identify an issue, gathers and processes relevant information,
determine possible solutions, selects appropriate responses and implements and evaluates
4. Service Strategy – Ability to identify the needs and wants of members/participants as a
priority and respond in an effective and timely manner to enhance every person’s YMCA
5. Community Awareness and Understanding – Demonstrates and promotes a personal
understanding of and appreciation for the vision, mission and values of the organization.
- Minimum 1 year training, certification or experience in a related field such as business,
administration or volunteer management.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Physical ability to complete the tasks.
- Three satisfactory professional references.
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check and clear Vulnerable Sector Search.
- Class 5 Drivers License is considered an asset.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in recruiting and hiring.
- Excellent knowledge of computers and other office equipment.
Volunteer Administrator Positing July 2019 Page 3 of 3
- Strong communication skills, including public speaking. Ability to interact with a variety
of people and personalities and to provide motivation and encouragement to volunteers.
- Ability to work as a member of a team in a cooperative and supportive manner.
- Exceptional attention to detail and adherence to policy.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to manage stress and keep up with a high demand office environment.
- Ability to problem solve.
- Strong work ethic including regular attendance, punctuality and appropriate attire.
- Ability to work with little supervision.
- Flexibility required to meet changing demands.
Please apply in writing with a cover letter, detailed resume, and YMCA Application form (found
on our website) by August 18that 5:00pm to be eligible for an interview:
Lauren Marutt- Philanthropy Supervisor
YMCA of Northern BC
Box 1808 – 2020 Massey Drive
Prince George, BC V2L 4Z7
250 562 2954
The YMCA of Northern BC thanks everyone for their applications. Only those selected for an
interview will be contacted.