Emergency Reporting software engineers develop web technologies to support the global efforts of the Fire and EMS industry. Our core values are industry integrity, team appreciation, fire service advocacy, responsible stewardship, ongoing relevance, and consistent innovation. We are passionate about our support of the Agile principles of software development and have embraced a scrum development methodology with strong emphasis on continuous improvement. As a Software Engineer II you will be working on a small scrum team with a large potential for learning and growth.
With your technical expertise you manage individual projects tasks, deadlines and deliverables. You design, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and enhance software solutions.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF ALL EMPLOYEES
- Strive to exhibit ER’s Valued Employee Attributes to support our company values and culture.
- Adhere to applicable polices and procedures.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF EVERYONE IN THIS DEPARTMENT
- Understand and collaborate effectively in ER’s Agile organization using Scrum and Kanban methodologies; and striving to become proficient in our tools and processes.
- Ability to effectively and consistently communicate and collaborate with teammates, sponsors, and stakeholders.
- Be an active part of defining and following best practices around engineering excellence and contribute positively toward ER’s continuous improvement.
- Pursue any relevant continuing education/training to keep up with best practices for engineering excellence.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Designs and develops high quality, high performing data SQL queries, and works with other ER staff to performance tune problematic queries as needed.
- Engage in daily stand-up meetings to provide regular status updates to the team or as situations change.
- Perform and receive code reviews according to standards with other members of the team.
- Perform performance tuning with an understanding of programming algorithms.
- Support continuous process improvement with the goal of making the Emergency Reporting technology team as efficient and effective as possible.
- Further the scrum and coding standards of the team.
- Develop the testing capacity of the team.
- Learn from training events and pass knowledge on to the team through in-house discussions or lectures.
- Perform other duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS – EDUCATION, LICENSES & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience.
- 2+ years software development experience.
- Strong knowledge and experience in relational database concepts, design, constraints, stored procedures, functions, and optimization.
- Experience with Red Gate Database products helpful.
- Expertise with SQL Server, TSQL, SQL Server Reporting Services or equivalent relational database systems.
- Experience with GIT, SVN, or equivalent source control system preferred.
- Experience with Microsoft PowerBI preferred.
- Experience with data warehouses and ad hoc query tools preferred.
- Other combinations of education and experience that provide the incumbent with the necessary qualifications may be considered.
QUALIFICATIONS – KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Passion for excellence.
- Organized and detail oriented, including ability to effectively document and resolve issues.
- Self-directed and able to work independently and effectively to meet deadlines.
- Ability to learn and adapt to changing technologies and procedures.
- Ability to be a collaborative team player.
- Ability to build positive, effective work relationships with customers, co-workers, vendors, and others.
- Experience with continuous integration and unit testing.
- Effective in instructing others in proper techniques and practices.
- Experience in addressing peers in a public forum on technical topics.
- Incumbent is subject to a background check and appropriate security clearances.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Travel: Some travel may be required.
- Mobility: Work is performed in an office setting and requires working on the computer for long periods of time. Must be able to move throughout the office to interact with employees.
- Hearing: Must be able to hear verbal conversations over the phone, using collaboration tools, and in-person with background noise.
- Vision: Must be able to consistently identify objects and persons at a distance and read fine print on various forms.
The statements contained in this document reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise to balance the workload. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.