In this position you will be reporting to the Machine Shop Manager. As the night shift Machine Shop Supervisor, you will oversee daily, weekly and monthly production targets of a team of Machinist while maintaining the highest of quality, safety and process standards.
Please note that candidates must be willing to work various shifts as required.
- Provide day to day working leadership within the machine shop during the night shift, by ensuring that safe-working procedures, good housekeeping practices and all company policies are adhered to at all times.
- Plan and organize the efficient and effective use of manpower, equipment and material resources.
- Schedule, distribute and control work assignments to provide smooth flow of both priority and routine tasks to ensure efficient utilization of personnel and production requirements are met in a timely basis.
- Provide support and direction to employees on machining/technical challenges.
- Work with the team to drive continuous improvement through driver measures, open team dialogue and actively participating in Driver/ACE board meetings.
- Participate and support ACE related activities and drive ACE initiatives.
- Interface with appropriate support personnel (Manufacturing, Engineering, Production Control, and Inspection, in the investigation of production problems encountered in meeting schedule requirements and/or quality standards.
- Act proactively to ensure a safe work environment and promote safe work habits through formal audits and continuous contact with the shop floor.
- Act as a coach and mentor to improve employee performance and engagement.
- Resolve employee concerns by listening, analyzing and taking action.
- Conduct performance reviews, lead coaching discussions and participate in hiring activities.
- Coordinate overtime and vacation planning to ensure adequate coverage during shift.
- Work with the teams to understand the need to drive continuous improvement through driver measures, open team dialogue and a bias for action; actively participate in daily Driver measure board meetings.
- Establishes lines of communication between other supervisors and cell leaders, determines the area of responsibility and follows up to ensure assignments are completed in accordance with procedures and instructions
- Assist in reviewing those problem areas that have been identified by monitoring QN’s and PDS sheets and ensures proper action has been taken to correct the unfavorable occurrence
- Lead the on-going reduction of inventory and elimination of waste from the business by promoting and applying LEAN principles and daily TPM and 5S in the shop.
- Investigate production and improvement suggestions to determine feasibility, suggest new production ideas including acquisition and commissioning of new production.
- Work with Maintenance team to drive rapid closure of all daily machine issues, and identify opportunities for PM, TPM and additional support.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Post Secondary education/certification in a related technical discipline coupled with previous experience in a leadership position in a manufacturing environment.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a Lean Manufacturing environment.
- Must have at least 10 years of experience in a hands on CNC Machinist position.
- Must have strong background in CNC and manual Machining.
- Previous experience in a fast paced, manufacturing environment is required, and prior aerospace experience would be considered an asset.
- Demonstrated performance and leadership qualities through successful participation in company leadership activities/roles.
- Demonstrated problem solving & data analytics skills.
- Strong computer skills including all Microsoft Office Applications (i.e. Excel)
- Ability to work and be available to cover other shifts as required.
- Knowledge of applicable processes within all cells.
- Must be able to communicate well with people at all levels in the organization.
- Effective time management skills.
- Accepts ownership and accountability for own actions and is persistent in following through on daily plan.
- A team player with strong planning and organizational skills
- Proven mentoring skills and ability to delegate duties effectively among employees.
- Respects diversity and treats others with respect.
- Energetic and innovative leader who shares new ideas in an effort to continuously improve the process.
- Strong knowledge of EH&S programs and policies with a passion for health and safety.
- Successful candidate must meet all requirements under ITAR and CGD.
Job Type: Full-time
- Supervisory: 3 years (Required)
- Lean Manufacturing: 2 years (Preferred)
- Machinist: 10 years (Preferred)