The District Municipality of Muskoka is currently recruiting for a
Purchasing & Risk Management Advisor
The District of Muskoka is seeking a customer focused,
collaborative individual to join our Corporate Finance team on a
permanent full-time basis.
Reporting to the Director, Budgets & Financial Planning, the
Purchasing & Risk Management (PRM) Advisor facilitates the
procurement of goods and services on a departmental and
corporate basis in accordance with the Procurement by-law,
District policies, and legislation. The PRM Advisor will also be
responsible for the provision of insurance related services for
claims management and coordinates risk management
activities and will assist with management of the non-
operational aspects of the District fleet.
The Purchasing & Risk Management Advisor’s main responsibilities will be to:
- Ensure compliance with District Procurement by-law and any associated policies and procedures.
- Provide professional procurement advice and work in partnership with internal customers and the Legal
department in developing tenders, quotations and Request for Proposal specifications.
- Develop cooperative or bulk purchasing strategies and alliances with appropriate purchasing partners,
including the area municipalities.
- Develop and maintain supplier lists and manage vendor pre-qualification processes including development
and delivery of a vendor orientation program.
- Provide corporate procurement contract administration and/or provide consultation to other departments on
appropriate contract administration techniques.
- Develop, implement and maintain risk management policies and procedures, and provide advice and risk
management expertise to staff.
- Research and keep informed on relevant procurement and risk management matters including new
developments, legislation, programs, best in class procurement strategies, procedures, and technology.
- Manage the annual review of insurance requirements and related services; investigate and recommend
new coverage as required; prepare reports for Council recommending insurance policy renewals and
proposed changes in coverage, limits and/or deductibles, and issues of concern.
- Oversee processing of insurance incidents and claims in conjunction with the Legal department.
- Manage and administer the District’s fleet acquisition and disposal of vehicles and equipment, preparation
of specifications in collaboration with operating departments, and adherence to capital and maintenance
- Administer the disposal of surplus assets, including furniture and equipment.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Why the District of Muskoka?
Muskoka is a great place to live and play! We are a four-season municipality that offers a balance between
family life and work. We are built around supportive and caring communities that are always growing, with
wonderful schools and facilities. Watch our video to learn more!
What you will bring to us
We would expect that your strengths will include strong customer service and collaboration skills. You will be
well versed in municipal purchasing procedures, fleet and risk management. You will also be able to fluently
converse on matters related to municipal insurance requirements and procedures.
From an educational standpoint, you are a graduate of a three (3) year college program in business/ public
administration, procurement & supply chain management, economics, or a related field. You will have 4-5
years of progressive experience in a related position/ environment. It is considered an asset if you hold
certification through the Supply Chain Management Association of Canada and/ or the Risk & Insurance
Management Society of Canada.
Although this job is a sole contributor (i.e. this is a one-person procurement team), you will need to have well
developed team work skills as you will be working with an array of individuals across the organization on their
purchasing needs. Self-management, initiative, accountability and adaptability are all terms you would
comfortably use when describing yourself.
What We Offer
The District offers a competitive salary package, including a comprehensive health and dental benefits plan,
and enrollment in the OMERS (Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System) pension plan. We foster a
professional, friendly and supportive team atmosphere and continuously strive to provide a working
environment where the best people want to work. We have a strong focus on health & wellness, as well as
community involvement - the people who work at the District are passionate about the community that they live
in! The District is committed to creating and promoting diversity, accessibility and inclusion in the workplace.
The Annualized Salary range for this non-union staff position is: $ 71,457 - $84,132
How to Apply
If you have the necessary skills, experience and qualifications, and can support our Vision and
Values of RISE (Respect and Integrity, Innovative Leadership, Synergy and Experiences),
please review the “How to Apply” instructions on our Website and then submit your application:
Once you have reviewed the instructions, please click on the “Apply Now” link, next to the posting, to submit
your application in the specified format. If an “Apply Now” link does not exist, we are no longer accepting
applications to the posting.
POSTING CLOSING DATE:
Friday, July 10, 2020 @ 12:00 NOON