Position Available: Early Childhood Educator
Hours: Monday – Friday; 40 hrs. / weekly as scheduled
Nature and Scope:
Reporting to the Director of Child care, this position is responsible for the implementation of the YMCA Playing to Learn Curriculum and NB Curriculum Framework for Early Learning and Childcare for children ages 2 to 5 years developing the child in spirit, mind and body; while providing quality care for the participants (children), supervision of volunteers and support our day to day operations
- Adherence to the YMCA Child Protection Policies and Procedures ensuring a safe environment for children, young people/vulnerable adults; identifying children, young people/vulnerable adults who are suffering, or likely to suffer, significant harm; and taking appropriate action to see that such children, young people/vulnerable adults are kept safe at the YMCA.
- Adherence to the YMCA Occupational Health & Safety Policy and accountable to work safely at all times, to identify and report hazards, to take whatever measures necessary and reasonable in the circumstances, to protect and promote health and safety.
- Ensure SAM and Brand Standards are met and exceeded.
- Serve as a role model to members, volunteers, and staff by demonstrating our YMCA values.
- Understand, promote, participate and solicit others to participate in YMCA philanthropic, recognition and awareness of events and activities in the organization.
- Maintain open communication within the team and parents, which will enable all involved to achieve our primary goal to have all children participate in our program activities.
- Model appropriate interactions/participation with peers
- To participate actively in scheduled outings, meal times, swim, and gym.
- To be compliant with all YMCA and government established policies.
- To attend appointments and meetings, as scheduled and deemed necessary.
- Complete communication reports with the assistance of all involved. (i.e. Enhanced support program, educators, guardians and program Director)
- Create a physical and social environment offering a full range of self-directed learning opportunities conducted through small group interactions.
- To document and plan in accordance with the YMCA Playing to Learn Curriculum.
- To inform parents about a child’s developmental and behavioral progress in a caring, confidential manner.
- To be compliant with the YMCA Playing to Learn Play in Action Audit Requirements.
- To be compliant with all YMCA and government established standards (law) and policies.
- To keep the facilities, equipment, and supplies clean and orderly in accordance with YMCA and Provincial Standards (law).
- Other duties as assigned.
- Child and Youth Focused: Commits to assisting growth and development among children.
- Teamwork: Actively builds team and encourages open relationships for maximum organizational effectiveness.
- Relationship Building and Collaboration: Builds positive interactions both internally and externally to achieve work related goals.
- Quality Focus: Ensures that the YMCA programs and services are superior.
- Communication: Communicates in a thorough, clear and timely manner and supports information sharing and goal achievement across the YMCA.
- Creativity and Innovation: Develops new ways or adapts existing ideas to help us achieve desired results.
- A Clear Criminal/Vulnerable Sector Check
- A Clear Social Development Record Check
- A Recognized Early Childhood Education Cert./ Diploma or Bachelor of Education Degree
- A Valid Workplace Standard First Aid & CPR certification
- Previous experience in the YMCA Playing to Learn Curriculum (an asset)
- NB curriculum framework certificate or currently taking
- Previous Experience working in a Licensed Early Learning and Childcare Facility
- Strong communication skills with an outgoing personality
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills
- Basic computer skills
Job Type: Full-time
- Child Care: 1 year (Preferred)
- Secondary School (Preferred)
- Early Childhood Educator (Preferred)