LOCATION: Stanford Seniors Village
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Reporting to the Recreation Manager; the Activity Worker is responsible for recreation programming, and delivery to meet the needs and interests of the Complex Care Residents and Assisted Living Tenants.
Includes but not limited to:
- Facilitates and leads resident recreation programs as scheduled which include cognitive, spiritual, social, physical programs that meet the needs of the Residents.
- Sets up and organizes furnishings and equipment for recreation programs, teaches the techniques of related recreation programs to Residents, Volunteers and other Staff. The recreation assistant oversees the recreation programs and reports problems or changes to the supervisor.
- Adapts programs (equipment and supplies) as necessary to meet the needs of individual Residents.
- Ensures recreation equipment and supplies are used and stored in a safe and efficient manner. Reports unsafe or faulty equipment to Therapy Services Manager.
- Transfers, porters and ambulates Residents to and from recreation programs, using appropriate lifting and transfer techniques that promote Resident/Staff safety and comfort.
- Promotes and publicizes upcoming events by communicating information to Residents, Staff, Families/Friends and Volunteers.
- Assists in planning new programs and enhancing programs and contributes to the development of the monthly recreation program calendar.
- Attends and participates in meetings providing suggestions and implementing strategies, as required.
- Observes and reports any changes in a Resident’s functional and cognitive behaviour to the nurse in charge and charts in Goldcare.
- Assists with inventory of equipment/supplies and report items required for programs to the Manager of Therapy Services.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a recognized post-secondary recreational program with a Gerontology/Recreation focus or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Knowledge of quality improvement/risk management issues.
- Basic Computer Skills.
- Current First Aid certificate.
- Valid Food Safe certificate
- Serving it Right certificate.
The work involves the performance of a variety of routine and non-routine tasks requiring the application of specialized processes and methods. This requires independent thinking and sound judgement. Creative and cost effective solutions are required to enhance programming and avoid negative impacts to service delivery.
This position is responsible for:
- Delivering recreation programs and services to meet the physical, spiritual, cognitive and social needs of the Residents and Tenants
- Purchasing goods within the approved recreation program budget
- Providing Volunteers and Residents with a safe and comfortable environment
- Developing, maintaining and distributing recreation communication tools
Provides direction and guidance to Volunteers assisting with Recreation programs.
Internal contacts include:
- Participating as a member of the care team to develop care plans designed to meet the individual needs of the Resident.
- Sharing information, discussing operational issues, and resolving conflicts with colleagues and Volunteers.
- Working with Residents and Volunteers to resolve conflicts as they arise.
- Provides Residents with information regarding upcoming recreational programs and special events.
- Sharing information and participating in multi-site committees to develop and implement best practices throughout the organization.
- Contacting organizations and businesses to arrange outings and coordinate special events.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Ability to plan, organize and coordinate the delivery of recreation programs and services
- Effective interpersonal, leadership and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to teach
- Must be prepared to respond to emergent situations
- Must be physically able to perform the duties of the position
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Casual, Permanent
- First Aid (Required)
- Serve It Right (Required)
- Recreation Program in Gerontology (Required)
- Food Safe (Required)