POSITION TITLE: Microbiologist
POSITION REFERENCE NUMBER: ASD-2110
- Applications must include your date of availability and wage expectations.
- Applications without an appropriate cover letter will not be considered or reviewed.
- Only applicants with a B.Sc. in Microbiology will be considered.
- Position is open to residents of Calgary, Alberta, and surrounding communities within a 50 km radius only.
- Applicant must have permanent resident status in Canada.
Bio-Chem Consulting Services (1980) Ltd. has been providing laboratory/technical services to the environmental, pharmaceutical, and oil & gas industries for over 35 years. We are seeking an enthusiastic, mature, team-oriented individual who is interested in pursuing a full-time career with our firm.
This position is for an entry-level laboratory analyst. The successful candidate will be extensively involved in the analysis of samples received from our commercial clients for airborne fibers, building materials for asbestos content, microbial limits testing of natural health products, and general water and soil microbiological testing. This position may also include working with other chemical instrumentation.
DUTIES WILL INCLUDE:
- Analysis of PCM cassettes for airborne fiber concentrations using phase contrast microscopy following NIOSH 7400.
- Analysis of various bulk building materials for asbestos content using polarized light microscopy following EPA 600/R-93/116, EPA 600/R-04/004 and NIOSH 9002.
- Analysis of natural health products for microbial limits following USP< 2021/2022>.
- Analysis of air, water, and soil samples for various microbiological parameters including, but not limited to, heterotrophic plate count, sulfate reducing bacteria, hydrocarbon degrading bacteria, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Escherichia coli, and total coliforms.
- Assisting our analytical services division with various laboratory tasks, including glassware washing/sterilization, media preparation, equipment monitoring/maintenance, sample preparation and analysis.
- Participation in ISO 17025 related activities in concurrence with our QA/QC procedures.
BENEFICIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Work experience and/or professional training in asbestos analytical testing procedures.
- Work experience and/or professional training in USP microbial limits testing.
- Work experience and/or professional training in analysis of environmental samples for microbiological parameters including both plating and MPN enumeration techniques.
- Considerable practical experience with microscopy, including brightfield, fluorescence, phase contrast and/or polarized light.
- Experience with equipment assembly/dis-assembly and maintenance.
- Only candidates with a B.Sc. in Microbiology will be considered for this position.
- Excellent oral and written proficiency in the English language.
- Mature, high attention to detail, reliable and honest.
- Good proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- Familiarity with WHMIS or GHS.
- First Aid certification.
We thank all candidates for their application. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Reference ID: ASD-2110
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Bachelor's Degree (required)