Western Forest Products has an opportunity for a Payroll Manager based out of our Downtown Vancouver office. The Payroll Manager is responsible for ensuring company standards, internal controls, federal, state and provincial laws, and union agreements are adhered to across multiple legal entities in Canada and Washington State.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
WHO YOU ARE:
- Responsible for the timely and accurate processing of both hourly and salaried payrolls for our Canadian and U.S. operations.
- Manages and monitors the payroll system, identifies any issues and, makes recommendations for improvements.
- Streamlines and simplifies existing payroll and benefits processes to ensure they are fit for purpose and maximizing system capabilities;
- Ensures all financial controls are operating correctly, including preparation of account reconciliations, and other financial reporting requirements, makes recommendations for process improvements.
- Ensures Data Privacy Rules are accurately executed to fully address the business risks in an environment with high dollar materiality and safe guard from Data Privacy breaches;
- Stay up to date on federal and state payroll legislation, collective agreement updates and policy changes and proactively implement changes in policy, systems and reporting;
- Provide effective analysis, management reporting and strategic planning for the effective immediate and long-term operations of the payroll function while interacting with other key departments such as finance, IT and HR Lead on Payroll department projects;
- A positive coach, mentor and trainer. Ability to manage a payroll team developing their individual growth while maintaining smooth departmental operations and ensuring exceptional customer service is provided; and
- Working closely with the Human Resources Team, to administer benefits, answer ad hoc requests and provide payroll support to HR-lead projects.
Education and Experience
- Qualification in finance, economics or business administration;
- Canadian Payroll Association certification of Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) is preferred;
- CPA designation is advantageous;
- 10+ year’s progressive Payroll experience, 6+ years in a management role in a unionized environment with multiple locations in an international setting;
- US and International Payroll processing experience is required; and
- System conversion experience is an asset.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Thorough knowledge of Canadian and US payroll processing including federal/state/ provincial laws, regulation, and guidelines as they apply to this function;
- Knowledge of Canadian and US tax and social security laws is essential;
- Experience with international payroll is considered an asset;
- Proficient with ADP Workforce Now;
- Affinity with Human Resources and related terms and conditions (Collective Labor Agreements/legislation/ benefits);
- Solid understanding of Controls Framework Guidelines and execution of controls;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to enable the development and management of the team, with a good balance between managerial skills and an eye for detail and quality;
- Strong leadership and organizational skills to meet deadlines and provide best in class payroll services through standardization and alignment;
- Ability to engage with stakeholders across all functions and levels in the organization;
- Ability to manage multiple and competing priorities concurrently and deliver flawlessly;
- The ability to proactively analyze potential threats and opportunities for the organization from changing business conditions and legal requirements; and
- Identifies and explains internal and external forces impacting payroll process, shares knowledge with others and is aware of legislations affecting payroll.
Benefits and Compensation
We value our employees and offer a comprehensive total rewards package, which includes competitive compensation with a pay-for-performance philosophy, employer-paid benefits, pension and other programs designed to support our employees and meet their needs. If you invest your time and talents in our company, we will invest in you.
We strive to support our people in reaching their full potential. We provide a variety of on-the-job training and continuing education in many areas at Western to ensure you have the skills you need to succeed. Our promote-from-within culture recognizes high performance, and we offer diverse career paths across the organization for those with the talent and will to advance.
We provide equal opportunity in recruitment, career development, promotion, training and rewards for all employees. For more information about our company and culture please visit our website westernforest.com.