The Salvation Army is an international Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible; its ministry is motivated by love for God and the needs of humanity.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
The Salvation Army Canada and Bermuda has four core values:
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
Broadview Village has 40+ years of providing outstanding support to adults with developmental disabilities and mental health challenges, and we are currently hiring a Full-time Temporary Residential Counsellor. Broadview Village residences provide around-the-clock support to individuals with developmental disabilities and/or mental health challenges. This position reports to the Residential Manager and is currently assigned to work in the Scarborough (McCowan/Lawrence) area. This position is full-time, 40 hours/week and currently works Monday - Friday 3:00 PM - 11:00 PM. This position is currently a temporary 3-month contract. Location and scheduling assignments may change based on organizational and programmatic needs.
This position requires someone who has a passion for and takes initiative in the creation and implementation of programming in areas such as: personal care & hygiene, advocacy, and community integration. The capacity to work collaboratively within a team is required, as well as with a large number of stakeholders including: healthcare professionals, consultants, colleagues, community members, family members and friends. This position also requires a resilient direct support professional who is confident in navigating conflict, overcoming obstacles, and who is creative in providing support to individuals in crisis.
The Residential Counsellor must ensure that their activities are in compliance with established legislation, and policies and procedures including: Employment Standards; Occupational Health & Safety Standards; Collective Agreements; Payroll Procedures; Salvation Army Accreditation; and Services and Supports to Promote the Social Inclusion of Persons with Developmental Disabilities Act, 2008 (SIPDDA).
· Providing support for residents’ personal development as decided through individual support planning (ISP) as well as advocating on their behalf/facilitating self-advocacy to community supports in collaboration with colleagues and other healthcare professionals
· Completing documentation and maintaining records as required
· Medication administration
· Ensuring learning opportunities are provided utilizing agency and community resources
· Fostering independence in residents including supervising and assisting residents with meal preparation and clean-up
· Maintaining cleanliness of program/site, ensuring health and safety protocols are closely followed
· Providing orientation and/or support to co-workers, students, volunteers and/or family members
· Following and promoting the agency’s and House program goal and philosophy
· Other duties as assigned
· Completed Developmental Services Worker Diploma or other degree/diploma related to human services is preferred
· Minimum 6-12 months’ experience working with people with developmental disabilities and preferably working with individuals who have a dual diagnosis of mental health challenges and developmental disabilities
· Experience with implementing Individual Support Plans
· Strong counselling/de-escalation support required
· Medication administration experience preferred
· Valid Standard First Aid Certificate (including CPR)
· Ability to achieve Nonviolent Crisis Intervention certificate upon hire, the employer will provide training.
Successful candidate will be required to provide upon hiring:
LOCATION: Scarborough (McCowan/Lawrence)
HOURS: This position works 40 hours/week Monday - Friday 3:00 PM - 11:00 PM. Flexibility will occasionally be required.
This position is currently a temporary 3-month contract ending on January 31, 2020.
TO APPLY: Please Click "Apply Now" Button!
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
This is a Bargaining Unit position represented by OPSEU Local 550
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
Salary: $17.68 /hour