Chief Construction Officer
Location: Scarborough, ON
Start Date: January 2020
Genecis Bioindustries is a venture-backed startup that uses bacteria to make premium materials affordable. Our first product line is based on PHA biodegradable plastics created from organic waste. The company is composed of a dynamic team of scientists and engineers rapidly scaling up an innovative process aiming to improve the sustainable and cost-effective production of PHAs.
Genecis is seeking a Chief Construction Officer who will hold a key leadership role within the company, leading the construction of Genecis’ industrial demonstration plant. This ideal candidate should have a senior chemical engineering background with excellent management capabilities.
The incumbent will provide direction, project management and construction co-ordination expertise Genecis’ Industrial pilot plant; ensure budgets and schedules are maintained; ensure compliance with all applicable government policies, procedures, regulations and guidelines and will be responsible for other associated duties. Excellent interpersonal communication and organization skills are key as the position will require management of various stakeholders including contractors, subcontractors, vendors, and fabricators. The successful candidate will demonstrate excellent communication and people skills, strong project leadership, and technical expertise.
- Accountable for leading management efforts for the production of Genecis’ Industrial Demonstration Plant
- Managing the construction and commissioning phases of the plant build
- Working with the Engineering team while managing and negotiating with various contractors, subcontractors, fabricators, and vendors
- Maintain positive relationships with various stakeholders and progress efficiency
- Provide technical support and guidance in troubleshooting plant equipment and services
- Ensure projects success by keeping project on schedule through strong leadership and communication while evaluating technical data
- Oversee, review, communicate, and distribute all project documentation including requirements, project schedules, budgets, status reports, invoices, and change orders.
- Directly report to the CEO on any updates and changes to the plant’s progress.
- Engage with the Leadership Team and contribute positively in the strategic and technical decision-making process
- Raise and maintain awareness of all project issues and risks, and identify works with appropriate parties to develop solutions
- Post-Secondary Degree in Chemical engineering preferred
- Senior Engineer with a minimum of 10 years experience in project management, specifically for biochemical plant construction and commissioning
- Excellent organization and engineering project management skills including planning, scheduling, assigning, budgeting and managing
- Excellent interpersonal communication and technical writing skills
- Strong understanding of fermentation technologies
- Experience in applying for permits and approvals
- Experience conducting procurement management
- Proficiency with MS Office and MS Project applications
- Travel required within Toronto and the Greater Toronto Area
- Professional Engineering (PEng) designation
- Familiarity with concepts and equipment of typical wastewater treatment and fermentation plant operations
- First-Aid trained, WHMIS trained, emergency response trained
- Knowledge of safety systems, scrubbers, compressors, pumps, valves, mixers, fans, etc.
- Knowledge of biochemical processes related to PHA production
- Familiarity with chemicals and mechanical equipment supply chains
- Experience safely handling hazardous materials given the proper SOPs and PPE
- Creative, flexible, proactive, punctual
- A team player
- Comfortable with a fast-paced work environment
Interested applicants may submit a CV and a cover letter.
Applications will be screened as they come in. It is encouraged you apply as soon as possible for a proper assessment of your application.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
- chemical engineering: 5 years (Preferred)