Location 298 Hardscratch Rd, Yarmouth NS
Number of Positions
Job Start Date
Job Competition Closes When position is filled
To be negotiated, starting at $12.50/hr depending on experience
A Shelter’s Animal Care Attendant is a key member of the Nova Scotia SPCA team. This individual participates in the day to day animal care and operational practices of an Animal Shelter making certain they are compliant with the Society’s animal care standards.
- Answers multi-phone system, routing inquiries to the proper person and initiates messages for follow up;
- Provides outstanding customer service with a friendly can-do attitude;
- Performs data entry, filing, fills out forms
- Communicates to the public the principles that convey and impart an understanding of the policies and procedures of the Nova Scotia SPCA.
- Works directly with volunteers, oversees and provides support to volunteers assisting with front desk and administration tasks.
- Facilitates day to day cash management process.
- Assists with marketing, recruitment and retention of foster program volunteers.
- Assists with scheduling and coordination of appointments with local Veterinary Clinic for public Spay/Neuter assistance program.
- Ensures that adoptable pets are promptly posted in PetPoint and made available on the SPCA NS website with photos and write up.
- Keeps the shelter Facebook page accurate and up to date.
Assures all nutritional, housing, grooming and medical needs are met on a daily basis according to approved processes. Is responsible for maintaining a safe and sanitary facility for animals and people. Provides humane handling and care for all shelter animals.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Responsible for all duties related to the care of animals (cleaning of the holding areas, assuring that animals receive food and water, bathing and basic grooming). Provides humane handling and restraining techniques.
- Observes animals for signs of illnesses or injuries and reports symptoms to the appropriate personnel. Administers medications and assists Animal Care Technicians as required by restraining animals, grooming, health checks, flea treatments and administering parasite control.
- Performs continual maintenance duties that include repairs and upkeep. Cleans all equipment and work areas to maintain the highest standard of cleanliness and sanitation. Follows health and safety regulations and protocols.
- Maintain accurate records for animal inventory, health, medications, treatments, procedures and behaviour history.
In addition to the duties listed above, the SPCA expects the following of each employee: adheres to policies and procedures; works in a safe manner; acts as a role model within and outside the shelter; performs duties as workload necessitates; maintains a positive and respectful attitude; demonstrates exceptional customer service; communicates regularly with supervisor about issues; demonstrates efficient time management and prioritizes workload; consistently reports to work on time prepared to perform duties of the position; participates in events and on committees as needed or required; and
Completes other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each task satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and ability required.
- Demonstrates animal control knowledge, including proper restraining techniques. Knowledge of animal behaviours, and basic obedience training methods.
- Ability to identify species, breeds, age and sex of animals.
- Ability to identify signs of animal illnesses, diseases and injuries.
- Ability to identify different medications and methods of administration.
- Ability to perform sanitation procedures and general maintenance.
- Ability to perform the SPCA’s basic medical intake process and other duties as outlined in SPCA Manuals
- Employee must demonstrate ability to work effectively with others (including co-workers, customers, volunteers and others) by sharing ideas in a constructive and positive manner; listening to and objectively considering ideas and suggestions from others; keeping commitments; keeping others informed of work progress, timetables and issues; and addressing problems and issues constructively to find mutually acceptable and practical business solutions.
- Employees must demonstrate regular and consistent attendance and punctuality.
Some reception duties may also be required
- This position requires a flexible schedule. Evenings and weekends may be required, must be willing to work a flexible schedule.
- Driver’s license is required
- Physical ability to walk and/or stand on your feet throughout a normal workday required.
- Physical ability to lift and carry 40 pounds regularly.
- Working conditions include working alone, working outside in varying weather conditions, frequent interruptions, and some meetings.
Nova Scotia SPCA is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all qualified applicants, regardless of gender, race, age, sexuality, or disability. SPCA provides a competitive salary and a rewarding work environment. Interested applicants are asked to submit their resume and cover letter.
Please quote “Yarmouth SPCA Animal Care & Reception” in the subject heading in your email reply.
We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at the Nova Scotia SPCA, however, only those selected for interview will be contacted.