LOCATION: Stanford Seniors Village
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the direction of the Director of Care and/or designate, Registered Nurses in this position will facilitate and participate in a ‘collaborative’ process; fostering the development and implementation of resident specific care plans. Further responsibilities will include supporting other members of the resident care team with the provision of that care (ie: Physicians, LPN’s, HCW’s, Dietary, PT/OT/Recreation). Further duties included but not limited to are: complex resident assessments, care conference planning, MDS assessment and data input, medication administration and review, medical treatments, IV therapy, wound assessment and management, and formal input into performance reviews for care staff. These duties will be carried out according to established policies and procedures.
Includes but not limited to:
Provides nursing care according to and in conformance with the established standards, policies and procedures by:
- Utilizing the nursing process to assess, implement, evaluate, and document outcomes in collaboration with the resident care team.
- Observing and reporting symptoms and conditions of residents to the appropriate physician and or staff.
- Modifying care as needed, setting priorities and initiating immediate treatment as req
- Participating and or overseeing the administration of medications, reviews, and audits.
- Admission and discharge planning, including transfers and/or death.
- Respite/Palliative Admission/coordination
a. Overseeing care conference coordination and maintaining resident records.
b. Daily resident assessment, informal and formal, and required documentation,
- Monitoring/administering medical treatments and or procedures in collaboration with the resident care team.
- Provide documentation and information on individual resident care plans to the resident care team, other departments, family, Physician, and appropriate external resources.
- Acts as a supportive resource and role model and encourages staff and resident family’s participation in resident care activities.
- Encourage and facilitate staff to contribute ideas and or solutions to problem solving resident care concerns.
- Addresses individual performance problems and provides management with documentation for performance review systems.
- RAI-MDS Assessment and Data Input
Maintains a safe and therapeutic environment for residents, visitors and staff by:
- Following sound bacteriological and preventative health principles by utilizing routine precautions.
- Reports communicable disease to the appropriate designate as per Vancouver Island Health Authority Infection Control manual.
- Initiating fire, disaster and other emergency procedures when required as outlined in facility protocols.
- Ensuring maintenance and safekeeping of narcotics as directed in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Familiarize and communicate resident Health & Safety standards to staff.
- Facilitating and fostering respectful communications between staff, family and physician.
Provides data to the Director of Resident Care by:
- Updating and revising resident care plans, MDS, ADL, MAR in collaboration with LPNs
- Providing input into the development of department policies, nursing practice and health care standards
- Incident reporting
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Facilitates and directs the orientation of new personnel by:
- Sharing information regarding the physical surroundings of work environment.
- Familiarizing new personnel with work schedules and work assignments.
- Familiarizing new personnel with facility policy and procedure manuals.
- Encouraging existing staff members to be active participants in the new hire orientation process
Provides information and ensures compliance on correct procedures for prevention of injuries as outlined in the:
- Infection Control Manual.
- Occupational Health & Safety (ie: WHMIS, Equipment maintenance, Peer Resource / MSIP) Non-violent Crisis Intervention Training
Participates in nursing audits and quality Improvement initiatives by:
- Performing equipment and safety audits monthly and relaying information to appropriate delegate (i.e.: maintenance, Director of Resident Care).
- Facilitates and maintains safety standard audits.
- Facilitate and participate in surveys (e.g. Accreditation)
- Facilitate and participate in resident chart audits to maintain adequate documentation related to standards of care by reviewing charts and making notes of areas and deficiencies.
- Relaying noted information to the Director of Resident Care
Provides leadership within the daily operations of the department to ensure effective/efficient operation of the department by:
- Being responsible for the daily supervision of care staff.
- Communicating times and outcomes of meetings, operational changes and new policies and procedures.
- Attending Unit and other committee meetings as required.
- Attending In-Service education as required.
- Accident and incident reporting, immediate intervention and follow-up documentation.
- Critical incident reporting.
- Acting as Fire Warden for drills or emergencies as outlined in Emergency Response Plan.
- Ensuring staff replacement as required.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Graduate of an approved school of nursing.
- Current practicing registration with the BC College of Nursing Professionals or Registered Psychiatric Nurses Association of BC, and in good standing.
- Current First Aid and adult CPR certification required.
- Experience in the specialty area of Gerontology preferred.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with resident’s, their family and or staff.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to use electronic systems.
- Ability to organize workload.
- Ability to operate related equipment (ie: computers, IV pumps, CADD Pumps etc).
- Ability to work under stress and adapt to changing workloads, and to respond appropriately in emergency situations.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Temporary, Casual, Permanent
Salary: $41.34 to $41.96 /hour
- Gerontology: 1 year (Preferred)
- BCCNP as an RN (Required)
- First Aid and CPR (Required)
- Nursing (Required)