Economic Development Winnipeg Inc. (EDW) is the city’s lead economic development agency and champion for local growth. We use expert analysis to highlight the Winnipeg Advantage and prove why we are the best place to live, work and visit.
Governed by a private-sector board and driven by the needs of the business community, EDW grows the local economy by attracting business, investment, events and people to our city.
The Director of Research and Market Intelligence is a member of Economic Development Winnipeg’s Market Intelligence Team reporting directly to EDW’s Vice President of Business Intelligence & Marketing. This critical position is responsible for providing strategic research and market intelligence to support EDW’s efforts to attract new investment, enhanced job growth, increase visitation and attract skilled talent to support the growth of Winnipeg’s economy.
The Director of Research and Market Intelligence will lead a team of analysts, economists and data managers in the continuous improvement of business processes and team performance. This position requires a motivated professional who can work collaboratively across all of EDWs business units, provide strong leadership and advance the role of the team as a nationally-recognized leader in economic development research and market intelligence.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead the Market Intelligence team in the management and delivery of the highest quality market research on Winnipeg’s economy, strategic industry sectors, and economic development programming to support our internal and external clients and stakeholders;
- Manage a program of data discovery to identify data and research from reliable internal and external sources to support internal analytical projects, programs and plans through the production and dissemination of qualitative industry intelligence;
- Manage, maintain, and grow a purpose-built data warehouse which houses and organizes quantitative data from internal systems and external sources to formulate accurate, evidenced based information;
- Deliver a comprehensive data strategy supported by a data governance framework that clarifies EDW’s approach to collection, manipulation, dissemination and use of data;
- Support EDW’s executive team in the development of strategic and operational plans;
- Lead in the development of performance metrics and KPIs to measure the effectiveness of these strategic and operational plans;
- Support analysis of new strategic initiatives, validation for business cases and proof of impact of programming that encourages Economic Development Winnipeg’s business retention, expansion, and attraction efforts;
- Maintain relationships with, and knowledge of, research resources and community partners, specifically within government departments, educational and research institutions, and business organizations;
- Develop and utilize an opinion research strategy that leverages external research partners and internal capabilities that furthers the knowledge and insights of EDW.
- Genuine passion for gathering and curating data and organizing information for the purpose of supporting strategic decisions;
- Excellent presentation skills and ability to advance the appropriate use of data and intelligence in strategic planning and decision making;
- Strong leadership skills and ability to guide a team in a collaborative environment;
- Excellent prioritization skills with the ability to manage a robust workload and meet deadlines;
- Outstanding analytical skills with the ability to understand analytical modelling related to economic development and investment attraction;
- Proven customer service orientation and ability to establish and maintain effective relationships internally and within the data community;
- Familiarity and comfort in exploring, evaluating and utilizing new and emerging information platforms;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to explain complex research and statistical analysis;
- Understanding of data structures and schemas (data warehousing).
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in the field of economic/business development focused on competitive market research/intelligence plus a minimum of 5 years’ experience in a senior management role leading a market intelligence/research team is required;
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in market research, business administration, economics, statistics, or other related graduate degree is required;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite is required;
- Experience with various visualization software including Tableau, Power BI, CRM , and Google Analytics is an asset;
- An acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
DIVERSE TEAMS CREATE BETTER IDEAS AND GROWTH IN OUR CITY
As a strong connector between business, industry, educational institutions and governments, Economic Development Winnipeg knows the most diverse teams bring about the best results when it comes to innovation, growth and impact on a community. Economic Development Winnipeg values team members who are diverse in age, gender identity, race and cultural backgrounds, sexual orientation, physical and mental abilities. Diverse voices are critical in the next chapter of Winnipeg’s economic growth and contribute to our city’s success.
HOW TO APPLY
Fully vaccinated candidates can apply by submitting cover letters and resumes to careersATedwinnipegDOTcom. Please note that only applicants of interest will be contacted for an interview.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- Wellness program
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Winnipeg, MB: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Are you legally entitled to work in Canada?
- market research: 10 years (required)