Position Summary Reporting to the Support Services Manager and / or designate the Support Service Worker 2 (SSW2) provides aspects of support services & hospitality throughout ‘Highgate at Nanaimo Seniors Village’ facility for residents, tenants, guests and the public. Participates in some or all of the tasks related to: food services while maintaining a safe, sanitary workplace. Responds to resident, tenant, and building emergencies if necessary.
Responsibilities Include but not limited to;
1. Responsible for some or all of the tasks related to the service of food-service to residents and guests in the kitchen area, dining room/restaurant, lounges and tray delivery to/from resident suites. Service includes: main meals, teas, special events and room service etc. through table/tray presentation; delivery and pick up of trays from resident suites; preparation; service of food, beverages and accompaniments and; setting of tables and the cleaning of the preparation and service areas, dining room chairs and other surfaces; scrapes and stacks/racks dishes and when required returns them to storage.
2. Cares for equipment, supplies and work area by ensuring equipment is kept clean and safely stored; defective or damaged equipment and furnishings have been reported through proper documentation.
3. Performs & documents required audits, using communication tools
4. Understands and demonstrates the use and application of cleaning chemicals.
5. Practices and maintains established standards for food safety & sanitation, facility cleanliness, safe work environment and other areas required by the Health Department, Work Safe BC, other regulative bodies and the facility.
6. Establishes and maintains an atmosphere conductive to dignified living, by creating an environment which maintains the happiness, self-respect, general dignity and physical safety of each resident and tenant.
7. Promotes and maintains positive communication and relationships among staff, residents, tenants, and the public.
8. Participates in department / facility meetings and educational in-services.
9. Participates in facility committees and quality improvement initiatives.
10. Performs other related duties as required.
Qualifications 1. Grade 10 or equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
2. Must have current “Food Safe” Certificate
3. ‘Serving it Right’ certification a definite asset
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Exercise excellent communication skills by demonstrating tact, diplomacy, empathy, patience and concern in providing quality service.
2. Physically able to perform the tasks
3. Ability to read, write, and speak English proficiently and understand verbal and written instructions.
4. Ability to take direction and learn procedures.
5. Ability to work independently and/or as a member of a team.
6. Ability to operate related equipment.