The Project Manager will be a member of the IT Strategy Implementation Team within the office of the Assistant Vice President and Chief Technology Officer and will be responsible for managing Projects specifically tied to initiatives related to the McMaster IT Strategic Plan and/or related to the McMaster IT Services Review recommendations. The Project Manager will ensure that a full and robust project management framework and processes are undertaken to ensure the success of all projects.
The McMaster IT Strategic Plan will outline objectives and initiatives to address the recommendations of the McMaster IT Services Review which took place in 2016. The IT Strategic Plan will encompass people, processes and technologies and will result in several enterprise wide initiatives that will be developed and evaluated through the IT Governance process. The McMaster IT Governance process is a framework for aligning and prioritizing IT resources with the strategic direction of the University; ensuring that projects are evaluated against a common framework and IT Principles as determined through the IT Strategic Planning process, and is overseen by a broad group of campus stakeholders who are charged with initiative reviews, evaluation and approval processes, and the monitoring and measurement of success of the ensuing projects.
We are seeking a Project Manager for a two-year engagement, to oversee the first phase of two technology related projects: Customer Relationship Management (CRM) and Document Management. The first phase of each of the CRM and Document Management projects will focus on working with a partner to define the needs of McMaster University before starting the technology evaluation process.
The success individual will ensure a full and robust approach to project management processes including strong communication and organizing capabilities in order to create a cohesive and well-defined understanding of the full scope, cost and timelines necessary to successfully deliver these projects. They will work closely with Project Sponsors, a Project Steering Committee, Project Team and campus wide stakeholder groups (expected to exceed 100 individuals), in addition to managing external. A deliverable of the Analysis and Discovery phase is proposal for the Implementation phase.
Experience managing undertaking complex enterprise wide technology analysis projects, managing Request for Proposal processes, managing vendor relationships, and implementing CRM and Document management Solutions are required. Experience specifically implementing CRM and Document Management solutions within a Higher Education environment is desired.
The Project Manager is responsible for leading and managing multiple concurrent IT Strategy Implementation projects across multiple lines of business to meet quality, budget and time objectives. The Project Manager, as a member of the IT Strategy Implementation Team, will be responsible for implementing recommendations from the IT Services Review, which are anticipated to be core to the strategic plan, are the identification of core services and the analysis of units and/or personnel best placed to deliver each of the services, resulting in a rationalization of service offerings to reduce duplication of efforts, revised IT service delivery models and subsequent re-evaluation and development of organization models, which may include the reassessment of existing positions and reporting structures within UTS and other IT units, developing recommendations for the best structure and aligning the current and future personnel in those roles, including addressing the implications of the changes.
As a member of the IT Strategy Implementation Team the Project Manager will also be responsible for the implementation of strategic enterprise level projects identified during the IT strategic planning process and approved through the IT Governance process. The IT Governance process is a framework for aligning IT resources with the strategic direction of the University; ensuring that projects are evaluated against a common framework, a broad group of stakeholders are involved in the proposal and evaluation process and that projects are monitored and measured.
Project and Program Management
- Develop and manage all aspects of project and program engagement from planning, external vendor relationships, communications, resources, budget, risks and issues.
- Lead walk-through and reviews of new project plans, stakeholder communication, documented success criteria and risk mitigation strategies. Organize and conduct start-up sessions to communicate requirements and project plans, and to initiate team building.
- Develop executive level communication regarding all aspects of the project. Develop and maintain project plans, prepare project status reports and keep management, clients and other project stakeholders informed of the status.
- Develop and manage project budget, time lines and milestones for presentation to senior management.
- Evaluate work product to ensure adherence to established functional and operational specifications.
- Conduct in-depth client interviews to determine scope, priority and constraints of business needs.
- Lead the development of project charters, business case documents and cost justifications.
Manage Client and Vendor Relationships
- Manage work assignments of internal staff and schedule and monitor adherence to procedures, protocols, and standards.
- Partner with the Technical Team to maintain the information technology issues database, create new issues and tracking the status of open issues.
- Ensure proper setting of priorities, problem resolution and incorporation of changing events and conditions into the project from business, technical and political perspectives.
- Plan, coordinate, and schedule meetings for effective user groups, focus groups, and advisory boards.
- Investigate, evaluate, and recommend improvements that may be required to business practices, their applications systems, and supporting computing technology.
- Coach and mentor junior staff in order to ensure a highly motivated and technically competent team.
- Act as an on-site team lead responsible for planning, coordinating, and scheduling work assignments to ensure the completion of assigned projects.
- Remain current with relevant development and project methodologies.
- Remain current with security policies and procedures and work with System Administrators to implement security changes.
- Remain current with the different levels of testing and develop simple use cases and test scripts.
- Promote the use of the Project Management framework, identifying enhancements and process improvements based on lessons learned.
- Provide feedback to direct managers on work completed by project team members, this information to be included in performance reviews and objectives
Technical Recommendations, Training and Systems Testing
- Manage the development of prototypes of interfaces and attributes based on user requirements.
- Develop and conduct peer reviews of business requirements to ensure that the requirement specifications are correctly interpreted.
- Gather and compile information on hardware and software products that meet predetermined specifications. Analyze and verify requirements for completeness, consistency, comprehensibility, feasibility, and conformity to standards.
- Manage all phases of testing including, but not limited to, system, integration, acceptance, regression, and performance.
- Take ownership of functional issues by identifying underlying problems, analyzing potential solutions and implementing system resolutions, including workarounds.
- Review test cases created by the testing team members to ensure that the test cases adequately define the business processes.
- Resolve problems in the test, production implementation, and post-implementation phases in coordination with other technical and business groups.
- Review systems, processes, and information and provide recommendations to others.
- Prepare and review a variety of project documentation, training materials and related documents.
- Absorb technical information when it is presented systematically and apply it effectively.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Sciences, Business or a related field of study
- Preferred: Certifications – PMP and ITIL, Scrum Master
- 10 years of relevant experience
- In depth use of project management framework, including scope management, communication management, risk management and cost management.
- Experience with Request for Proposal processes, contract negotiation and vendor management.
- Knowledge of IT program management best practices
- Demonstrated ability to successfully lead a team on strategic projects
- Detailed understanding of one or more institutional level applications and /or major business unit operations/requirements
- Knowledge of commercial information technology standards
- Experience implementing enterprise-wide CRMs and Document Management solutions in a highly complex environment desired.
- Experience implementing technology solutions in a higher education setting would be an asset.
- Successfully delivered multiple projects using agile and lean methodology.
- Leadership: Champions and models McMaster’s leadership capabilities (Takes a Strategic Approach, Communicates & Collaborates, Develops People, Drives Results, Champions Change and Innovation, Invests in Relationships)
- Vision and Direction: Thinks strategically; articulates a clear vision, is future focused and creates alignment with the core objectives of the University Technology Services department and the organization.
- Service Orientation: Delivers with a dynamic service focus with demonstrated success in delivering innovative solutions to meet needs and achieve service excellence.
- Communication: Illustrates exceptional communication skills, with the ability to effectively articulate sensitive and complex issues to a diverse community.
- Strategic Adviser: Provides senior management with honest, forthright and objective advice in a collegial manner.
- Deliver with Integrity: Delivers with leadership that inspires confidence and credibility; continually seeks to understand and act upon internal and external requirements, concerns and priorities; possesses a high level of integrity.
- Analytical Thinking: Demonstrates well-developed conceptual, analytical and collaboration skills.
- Coach: Utilizes an inclusive, collaborative coach approach with team members and colleagues.
- Team Development: Sets clear performance and development standards; exhibits mature judgment and manages team toward exceeding objectives, while driving engagement levels.
- Accountability: Is self-directed with a capacity for managing, executing and evaluating complex and competing projects and initiatives in evolving, changing and stressful environments.
- Results Driven: Sets priorities and deadlines to ensure multiple projects and objectives are achieved in a timely manner, balancing resources and fiscal requirements.
- Innovative: Anticipates and interprets future trends, using decisive insight and critical thinking skills by drawing on background, experience and university knowledge to effectively decide, problem-solve and align others and resources in challenging and complex situations.
- Adaptability: Demonstrates flexibility and a tolerance for ambiguity in a constantly evolving organization.
McMaster’s core leadership capabilities are designed to nurture employee engagement through best people practices. All leaders will demonstrate these Leadership Capabilities by: Taking a Strategic Approach; Communicating and Collaborating; Developing People; Investing in Relationships; Championing Change and Innovation; and Driving Results.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: $89,100.00 to $111,375.00 /year
- relevant: 10 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)
- PMP and ITIL, Scrum Master (Preferred)