About Dalhousie University
Dalhousie University is Atlantic Canada’s leading research-intensive university and a driver of the region’s intellectual, social and economic development. Located in the heart of Halifax, Nova Scotia, with an Agricultural Campus in Truro/Bible Hill, Dalhousie is a truly national and international university, with more than half of our 19,000 students coming from outside of the province. Our 6,000 faculty and staff foster a vibrant, purpose-driven community, that celebrated 200 years of academic excellence in 2018
The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (FASS) is dedicated to delivering the highest quality arts, humanities and social science education in Canada consistent with our standing among the top fifteen universities in the country. The Dean’s Office Administrator provides efficient front-line reception service to students, staff, faculty and visitors to the office as well as direct administrative support to the Assistant Dean, Student Matters and the Assistant Dean, Academic Integrity. This position reports to the faculty’s Director of Finance & Administration.
- Serve as initial contact for students and faculty on all matters related to the Assistant Dean, Student Matters and Assistant Dean, Academic Integrity.
- Receive phone calls to the FASS general phone number and monitor the general FASS and Academic Integrity Officer email accounts, responding to calls and emails, or directing as appropriate.
- Update and maintain general informational areas of the Faculty’s website.
- Maintain a sound working knowledge of University, Faculty, Senate and academic policies and procedures, especially in relation to student matters such as waivers, dismissal, probation, discipline, appeals and academic integrity.
- Provide administrative support to the Faculty including photocopying, maintaining files, handling mail and courier packages, etc.
- Update and maintain the Faculty’s course syllabus archives.
Business/Office Administration diploma with three to five years’ related experience (or equivalent combination of training and experience) is required. Must have experience with general administrative functions and in providing excellent client services. Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, Acrobat Reader, and website maintenance required. The ability to prioritize workload including multiple concurrent demands is essential. Excellent judgment as well as tact and diplomacy are required. Demonstrated intercultural competence and a willingness to engage in ongoing development in this area. Ability to write concisely and clearly, using inclusive, respectful language in all communication
Job Competencies Additional Information
Dalhousie University supports a healthy and balanced lifestyle. Our total compensation package includes a defined benefit pension plan, health and dental plans, a health spending account, an employee and family assistance program and a tuition assistance program.
Bargaining unit employees for NSGEU local 77 are given first consideration and will be notified regarding the status of their application. All other applicants will be considered when there is no qualified internal candidate.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Dalhousie University is committed to fostering a collegial culture grounded in diversity and inclusiveness. The university encourages applications from Aboriginal people, persons with a disability, racially visible persons, women, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and all candidates who would contribute to the diversity of our community. For more information, please visit www.dal.ca/hiringfordiversity.