Trans-Northern Pipelines Inc. (TNPI) operates regulated pipelines in central Alberta, from Edmonton to Calgary, and in South Eastern Ontario and the Montreal corridor. These pipelines deliver refined petroleum products such as gasoline, diesel, aviation and heating fuel used by businesses and consumers. We have been operating pipelines for more than 70 years and are committed to operating in a safe and environmentally responsible manner in order to protect the public, the environment and the pipeline.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
TNPI offers a stable work environment with predictable business growth. The organization serves a committed client group made up of 3 major Oil & Gas companies and benefits from consistent and growing Canadian demand for petroleum products.TNPI has a culture that supports personal initiative, and is a place where employees have considerable autonomy and ownership of their functions. The flat organizational structure allows for broad mandates and the opportunity to expand your skills and experience, as well as access to decision makers and senior leadership. The TNPI culture is collegial, values employee input, and supports work/life balance. TNPI achieves operational excellence in four pillars: Safety, Environment, Reliability and People.
Reporting to the Manager, Product Movement, the Alarm Management Specialist is responsible for implementing and maintaining practices as prescribed under an alarm management program and control room management initiatives. This largely involves, but is not limited to, analysis of historical data and understanding of current operating strategies for centralized remote operation of multiple pipeline facilities. Working with the SCADA Manager, Operations Coordinators and Line Control Supervisor, the specialist will be involved in ongoing development of an Alarm Philosophy document, and ongoing refinement of alarm rationalization and analysis of alarm statistics. Essential duties include working as part of a group to provide SCADA system administration functions supporting Alarm Management objectives. The ideal candidate has experience with defining and driving change improvements in a liquid pipeline control environment. This position is accountable for ensuring that all aspects of TNPI operation comply with TNPI Operational Excellence Management System and all relevant codes, standards and regulations.
- Adhere to an Alarm Philosophy document that establishes and standardizes the basic definitions, principles, and processes to determine, design, document, implement, operate, monitor and maintain an alarm system.
- Establish a plan to meet requirements and recommended practices for pipeline operations and lead implementation of plan.
- With direction from the Product Movement Manager, work with other necessary parties (e.g. Line Control, Engineering, Field Services, SCADA Manager) on alarm reduction initiatives to redirect non-system-critical alarms from Line Control to other business units.
- Perform Alarm Assessments analyzing alarm data and identify areas of improvement.
- Perform weekly reviews, tracking, and adjustment of inhibited, suppressed, tagged and operator enabled alarms to ensure relevance of manipulated alarms to current system circumstances, restrictions, anomalies and pipeline facilities construction work.
- Review and analyze monthly alarm reports to identify and keep track of erroneous and nuisance alarms.
- Work with Control Operations Coordinators, Supervisor, the SCADA Manager, and/or Field Operations to rectify or eliminate erroneous and nuisance alarms.
- Work with operational groups to create and revise standard or site specific “Alarm Helps” that conform to Alarm Philosophy guidelines.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Minimum Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering or Computer Science.
- 5+ years of work experience with SCADA/process control system and alarm management.
- Experience in complete Alarm Management Lifecycle. From alarm philosophy through alarm rationalization and implementation.
- Familiarity with IT, SCADA and or Telecomm architectural standards;
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office applications including MS-Excel & MS-Word;
- Must be able to work alone without direct supervision as needed;
- Ability to work under pressure, managing multiple tasks with competing priorities and tight deadlines.
- SCADA or Automation related experience in Pipeline and/or Liquid Terminals Industries, understanding of PLC logic control and function, networking experience within a Telecomm department, and VB.Net programming experience are considered assets.
- MS Office proficiency
- Demonstrate strong leadership skills (authoritative and non-authoritative)
- Must demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong listening skills
- Excellent team player/motivator
- Effective in planning and organize self and others
- Safety First Mentality
- This position is based in Richmond Hill, Ontario
MORE OF WHAT WE OFFER
- Work in a small, highly competent team whose members share your high sense of commitment.
- Industry-competitive compensation.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
- SCADA/process control system and alarm management: 5 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)
- Richmond Hill, ON (Preferred)