First United Church Mission
We seek a just society by nurturing each person’s spirit through ministry, housing, advocacy and community services.
Each job within First United should in some way promote our accomplishment of this mission.
Acceptance, Discernment, Empathy, Accountability, and Social Justice
The Shift Supervisor supports the Shelter Program at First United by providing direct service and supervision to staff, shelter residents, and community members, helping them understand and adhere to shelter policies and protocols, and ensuring effective operations of the shelter program.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES ___________________________________________________________________________
- Maintain a safe, supportive environment within the shelter.
- Monitor facility to maintain safety of clients and shelter space.
- Assist clients with shelter routines.
- Support clients in following all shelter procedures.
- Help clients work through conflict with others living in the shelter.
- Keep shelter clean, restock supplies, and ensure that bed checks and wake up calls are being done.
- Communicate observations and interactions with clients to shelter manager and shelter management through documentation in shift reports, and reports.
- Assist with shelter meals as required, following all food safety guidelines.
- Intervene in incidents in the shelter, using appropriate techniques and safety procedures
- Complete documentation as needed for client reporting, and incident reporting.
- Basic maintenance, organization & cleaning of facilities.
- Treat clients in a culturally sensitive manner.
- Participate in Department and all staff meetings and relevant trainings as required.
- Adhere to agency policy, procedures and professional code of ethics.
- Complete all duties as assigned. Other duties as required.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY _________________________________________________________________________
Supervision of shelter resource workers, shelter residents, and community members.
_________________________________________________________________________ QUALIFICATIONS _________________________________________________________________________
- Post-secondary diploma or degree in related field
- Food safe level 1
- Basic First Aid
- Trained in naloxone
- Demonstrated ability to oversee employees and ensure they meet performance expectations
- Demonstrated ability to motivate, train, delegate, mentor and coach employees
- Ability to maintain a work environment that is safe, secure and healthy.
- Demonstrated skill at entering confidential information into a database
- High degree of proficiency in MS Word and Outlook
- Speed and accuracy in completion of tasks, including recording keeping
- Attention to detail and consistency in managing repetitive situations
- Superior writing skills
- Very good telephone and communication skills
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills
- Fluency in English
- Friendly, professional demeanour
- Ability to handle sensitive information responsibly
- Experience in a low barrier shelter
- Ability to maintain clear personal and professional boundaries.
- Ability to work effectively in constantly changing and sometimes demanding or chaotic environment.
- Experience working with a diverse population, with sensitivity to differences in culture, religion, sexual orientation, race, age, and physical and mental illness.
- Ability to remain alert and on duty throughout shifts.
- Ability to respond responsibly and effectively in emergency and crisis situations.
- Ability to follow detailed instructions.
- Willingness to complete Food safe level 1 after hire.
- Current driver's license.
- Ability to effectively interact with clients, co-workers, and volunteers with diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds and treat everyone with respect, dignity, and compassion.
- Physical ability to lift 50 pounds, sit, stand, bend, reach, run, kneel, and perform cleaning duties.
- Pass a criminal background check
This is a temporary position, 30 hours per week. The hours of work are 5pm to 1am, Thursday to Sunday.
Job Types: Part-time, Temporary
Salary: $24.00 /hour
- Supervising: 1 year (Required)