Please Note: Candidates must be available to work days/evenings/weekends and must be available for call-in Monday-Friday mornings.
General Summary of Duties:
· Greets, instructs, directs, and schedules patients and visitors. Serves as a liaison between patient and medical support staff.
· The incumbent will work in all areas of the medical centre including Urgent Care, Central Bookings Department and Medical Reception for Family Physicians and Specialists.
· Works 0 - 30 hours per week as per schedule and call-in. Candidates must have availability to work days/evenings/weekends and must be available for call-in Monday-Friday mornings.
Typical Physical Demands:
· Work may require sitting/standing for long periods of time; also stooping, bending and stretching for files and supplies.
· Requires manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, type at 40 wpm, telephone, copier, and such other office equipment as necessary.
· Vision must be correctable to 20/20 and hearing must be in the normal range for telephone contacts.
· It is necessary to view and type on computer screens for long periods and to work in an environment which can be very stressful.
Typical Working Conditions:
· Work is performed in reception area. Involves frequent contact with patients.
· Fast Paced
· Ability to multi-task required
· Contact involves dealing with sick people.
Examples of Duties: (This list does not include all of the duties assigned.)
· Greets patients and visitors in a prompt, courteous, and helpful manner.
· Checks in patients, verifies and updates necessary information for medical records.
· Maintains appointment schedules and follows office scheduling policies.
· Answers telephone, screens calls, takes messages, and provides information.
· Is responsible for completing all necessary test requisitions accurately and neatly.
· Sorts and delivers mail, medical records, and other correspondence.
· Screens visitors and responds to routine requests for information.
· Maintains work area in neat and orderly manner.
· Performs related work as required.
· Must be familiar with specimen collections for tests giving appropriate instruction for correct collection when needed.
· Brief history of patients including height, weight, head circumference of babies, weight, urine of prenatals, vision testing. Could include specialty areas such as suture removal, blood pressure, weight.
· Order stock supplies and stock examining rooms.
· Do hospital billing and office billing as required.
· Prepare forms.
· Put patients in exam rooms.
· Assist with pap smears (be in room, hand swab, specimen, etc.) and other sterile procedures, (biopsies, syringes, etc).
· Physical cleaning of shelving, desks, computer area and doctors' office.
· Surgical booking - organization of patients.
· Clean & autoclave speculums/other instruments.
· Phone in new prescriptions if requested by the physician to do so.
· Book referral appointments.
· Set up appointment schedule for physicians on computer terminal.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
· Knowledge of business office procedures.
· Knowledge of grammar, spelling, and punctuation to type patient information.
· Skill in operating a computer, photocopy machine, and fax machine.
· Skill in greeting patients and answering the telephone in a pleasant and helpful manner.
· Ability to speak clearly and concisely.
· Ability to read, understand, and follow oral and written instruction.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, employees, and the public.
· College with Medical Office Administration or related Diploma preferred.
· Prefer one year work experience OR in-clinic placement experiences through your diploma program along with relevant education.
· Knowledge of medical terminology and laboratory procedures.
· Strong computer skills with experience using Electronic Medical Record systems (preferably PS Suite) an asset
Position is part time, with the potential to lead to full time employment. Candidates must be available to work days/evenings/weekends and must be available for call-in Monday-Friday mornings.
We strive to meet the accommodation needs of persons with disabilities. Applicants are encouraged to make their needs for accommodation known at any point during the application process. We thank all applicants for considering a career with us; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Part-time
Job Types: Part-time, Permanent
Salary: $17.39 /hour