Job title :
HILLSIDE CTR- ADULT PSYCH
RELIEF FULL TIME
Interior Health is seeking a relief full-time Recreation Therapist to join our Mental Health team at Hillside Centre in Kamloops, B.C.
Kamloops is located in a scenic valley in BC’s Thompson Okanagan Region at the junction of the North and South Thompson Rivers and is British Columbia’s third largest city. Famous for its’ hospitality, Kamloops offers visitors all the amenities of a big city - first class accommodations and dining, lively arts scene, modern shops, full range of businesses and wonderful parks and recreation facilities. Kamloops boasts a Wild West history that includes the fur trade, the gold rush and cattle ranching. The scenery is characterized by rivers, mountains, lakes and grasslands, which offer unsurpassed opportunities for year-round outdoor adventure such as winter fun like skiing and tubing at nearby Sun Peaks Resort or summer pleasures such as golfing, fishing, water sports, mountain biking or hiking through the “Hoodoos” (shown below). Blue skies, endless sunshine, deep powder snow, one thousand lakes and spectacular landscapes make the Kamloops Region the natural place to visit and experience unparalleled adventure opportunities.
Mental health centres provide many services including adult community support, adult short-term assessment and treatment, community residential programs, geriatric programs, crisis intervention, day and outpatient programs, addictions counselling, concurrent disorders services, group therapy, peer support, and after-hours mental health support.
In accordance with the established vision and values of the organization, within the context of a client and resident centered care model, and in accordance with established standards of professional practice, the Recreation Therapist provides recreation and leisure programs/activities one on one and in groups to clients. The Recreation Therapist also:
- Assesses clients' recreation and leisure needs, develops and coordinates the delivery of therapeutic recreation plans and evaluates outcomes/objectives.
- Performs recreation/leisure assessments to create therapeutic recreation programs that benefit the clients’ health, functional status, personal development and quality of life.
- Documents behavioural and functional observations. Develops individualized therapeutic recreation plans in collaboration with others.
- Monitors clients' progress, revisits goals, identifies accomplishments and sets/revises time lines to ensure objectives are met.
- Collaborates with Occupational/ Rehabilitation staff, other health care professionals, social and recreational agencies/groups in the resolution of client program issues.
- Contributes to the organization and delivery of Recreation Therapy services, and participates in designated quality assurance initiatives, meetings, research and education, as required.
- Provides input to the Manager by participating in the development of laboratory guidelines and procedures; research and continuous quality improvement initiatives for the department.
- Performs administrative duties as required.
This is a relief full-time opportunity. The position is scheduled to work a 1.0 FTE (75 hours bi-weekly). Shifts are Sunday to Thursday, 08:30-16:30.
Interior Health strives to create an environment where you enjoy the work you do, the place where you work, and the people around you. Everyone plays a role in the care continuum. Together, we create great workplaces. Be part of a dynamic team!
Education, Training and Experience:
Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Recreational Therapy
- Two years recent related experience.
- Eligible for professional membership with the B.C. Therapeutic Recreation Association (BCTRA).
- Current valid BC driver’s license.
- Assessment and Treatment: Demonstrated ability to complete initial and ongoing client assessments (clinical and diagnostic reasoning) through appropriate/prescribed technical, therapeutic, safety type interventions.
- Teaching: Ability to teach clients and others both one-on-one and in groups.
- Knowledge Integration: Integrates best practice and current research evidence to support professional practice decisions and actions.
- Communication: Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with clients, families, the public, medical staff and members of the interdisciplinary team using verbal, written, computer communication means. Ability to effectively apply conflict resolution skills.
- Critical Thinking: Demonstrated ability to integrate and evaluate pertinent data (from multiple sources) to problem-solve and make decisions effectively. Applies the problem solving process demonstrating critical thinking and decision making skills using a systems approach.
- Human Caring and Relationship Centered Practice: Ability to promote client-focused care that demonstrates care for and with clients and significant others, sensitivity to diverse cultures and preferences, client advocacy and social justice concerns.
- Management: Demonstrated ability to organize work, set objectives and establish priorities. Manages time and resources, implements activities to promote cooperation among the interdisciplinary team and collaborates across disciplines.
- Leadership: Promotes staff morale, engagement and empowerment. Demonstrates creative planning for change and innovation, implementation of IH policies or other protocols, and ongoing professional development of self and others.
- Teamwork: Demonstrated ability to foster teamwork and a commitment to excellence in the provision of client care.
- Equipment: Demonstrated computer skills including the use of Meditech and Windows based programs. Demonstrated data analysis skills including appropriate data analysis and reporting tools. Demonstrated ability in the use of e-mail and word processing. Ability to operate other related equipment as required in the specific practice area.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
**Please upload a copy of your degree in Recreation Therapy**