Canem is celebrating almost 60 years of being at the cutting edge of prefabrication and project management. With locations in Victoria, Nanaimo, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Red Deer, Lethbridge, Saskatoon, Winnipeg and Cambridge, we are looking to continue to grow our team. See how you can begin your career with us!
We are Contractors that Care and are looking for dynamic, innovative and enthusiastic individuals to join the Canem team. There are available opportunities for those looking to join Canem in both in the field or one of our 10 branch offices. Please visit our website for more information.
Canem is currently seeking a Corporate Accountant to join our team in our Richmond Corporate Head Office. This is a 1 year maternity leave coverage.
The Corporate Accountant is responsible for the effective administration of accounting processes company wide. This includes responsibility for coordinating and supporting several areas of Corporate Finance (A/R, financial reporting, audit, tax). The Corporate Accountant reports directly to the Controller.
General Duties and Responsibilities
The Corporate Accountant is responsible for duties assigned by the supervisor, including but not limited to:
- Preparing and coordinating the process of information for all financial reporting for the company, including annual, semi-annual and quarterly and monthly reports for review by executive and branch management. Includes closely coordinating and working with branch personnel on a regular basis.
- Complying with IFRS public reporting requirements and deadlines and preparing all interim reports for review by the Controller and Executive Committee.
- Administering the company’s accounting system, preparing management financial reports and supporting the Controller in managing the financial reporting as assigned.
- Liaising with internal and external auditors, and preparing related monthly, quarterly, and annual documentation for auditors and the Controller.
- Overseeing the company’s Accounts Receivable collections and claims process.
- Performing ad-hoc analysis on project performance and evaluation.
- Providing guidance and support to all members of the Canem team
- Reconciling Balance Sheet and other accounts.
- Develop and coordinate effective and accurate management reporting and accounting procedures, and ensure adequate levels of financial controls are maintained with notification to the Controller of any relevant developments.
- Providing an example of professionalism as a responsible and goal-oriented team player and leading by example in achieving excellence and being accountable for results and outcomes.
This job description provides a general guideline for areas of responsibility. Additional detailed job responsibilities and individual goals are set for the employee with their supervisor.
The Corporate Accountant position requires experience in processing and managing full-cycle accounting, knowledge of basic accounting principles and standards, and excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, and the ability to adapt to a dynamic environment in a public company setting. Proficiency in related computer programs is a requirement.
- 2 – 6 years experience accounting positions;
- 2 – 4 years experience in administering full-cycle accounting programs;
- Positive, self-motivated and team attitude;
- Knowledge of IFRS Standards and C-SOX Compliance is preferred;
- Proven ability in providing guidance and support to team members and being an effective leader;
- Excellent knowledge of and proficiency in required computer programs (MS Office);
- Intermediate level of MS Excel – experience using VLOOKUP's, nested formulas, pivot tables, etc.
- Experience with SAP software or similar Tier 1 ERP system is beneficial;
- Excellent ability to think critically and problem solve;
- Ability to learn quickly, be flexible and adaptable;
- Strong organizational abilities and demonstrated attention to detail;
- Effective communication skills verbal and written;
- Ability to work effectively independently and as part of a team;
- A strong work ethic and self-motivated; and
- Solutions oriented, diplomacy and ability to initiate new methods and procedures to improve results.
We offer generous compensation programs and performance driven incentives to reward our people.
If you believe you would be the right fit, and you are a motivated team player and want to work with a dynamic group of professionals, please send your resume in confidence noting your salary expectations in your cover letter.
We thank all of those who apply for their interest but will only be able to follow up with candidates who we would like to interview. Please note all applicants must be eligible and able to work in Canada.
- Extended health care
- Vision care
- Vacation & paid time off
- Dental care
- Life insurance
Contract length: 12 months
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
- full cycle accounting: 2 years (Preferred)
- Accounting: 2 years (Preferred)
- IFRS and C-SOX: 1 year (Preferred)
- Accounts receivable
- Preparing financial statements (e.g. balance sheet, P&L, statement of cash flows)
- Conducting planning, budgeting and forecasting processes
- Reviewing and maintaining internal controls processes and systems