Who We Are
Founded in 1889, YWCA Hamilton is known as one of Hamilton’s original social innovators and works from a feminist, anti-racist, and anti-oppressive framework. We are dedicated to strengthening women’s and girl’s voices, broadening their choices, building dynamic leadership and providing essential services that promote safe, inclusive and equitable communities.
The Communications Coordinator will be an integral part of the Communications team, shifting between internal and external communications and storytelling to support organizational initiatives. The Communications Coordinator will work closely with the Manager, Media and Communications and with YWCA Hamilton staff to develop and execute internal communications campaigns that engage nearly 500 employees at over 30 locations. The Communications Coordinator is also a consummate storyteller who will identify engaging storytelling opportunities and develop content that speaks to YWCA Hamilton’s mission, vision and values while providing a glimpse into the lives of the people we serve in all department areas.
· Identifies and develops storytelling opportunities from all areas of the organization, primarily for web content but also in support of Development team initiatives;
· Writes blog posts and accompanying headlines that adhere to SEO best practices for content creation;
· Shoots/sources photos and/or video to accompany blog posts for ywcahamilton.org or as standalone blog posts;
· Stays up to date on timely news items and advocacy issues that are relevant to Hamilton and its citizens;
· Contributes to the departmental communications calendar;
· Works with the Digital Content Coordinator to flag key storytelling opportunities for social channels;
· Consults with program leads across the organization for storytelling opportunities, as well as for relevant content to be shared in internal newsletter;
· Ensures that all internal communications reflect a unified brand and creative voice that reflects YWCA Hamilton’s mission, vision and values;
· Develops, implements and evaluates internal staff newsletter using MailChimp and analytics review;
· Supports all internal and external communications initiated by the Communications department;
· Supports YWCA Hamilton mission, vision and values.
· Completion of 2 years’ college in communications, public relations, journalism, or equivalent;
· Experience in the non-profit sector;
· Excellent written communications skills;
· Experience writing for a variety of audiences;
· Ability to identify and hone in on what makes a relevant and engaging story;
· Basic understanding of SEO principles and how they relate to content creation;
· Experience writing for the web;
· Up to date on current events and advocacy issues in Hamilton;
· Experience with Mailchimp and/or similar communications platforms;
· Experience with WordPress or a similar content management system;
· Excellent time management skills;
· Photography and/or video skills an asset;
· Internal communications experience an asset;
· Bilingual English/French or other languages an asset.
· Must be able to work from a feminist, anti-racist/anti-oppressive perspective;
· Must provide a current Criminal Record Judicial Matters Police check or willingness to obtain at own cost.
Thank you for your interest in YWCA Hamilton.
As part of YWCA Hamilton’s commitment to Access and Equity, we strive to represent the diverse communities that we serve. Individuals who are First Nations, Métis, immigrant, refugee, lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender; and individuals with disAbilities and from racialized communities are encouraged to apply.
Accommodations are available throughout the recruitment process. Please inform us of any accommodation requests.
Please Note: Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Personal information collected during the recruitment process will only be used for employment opportunities only in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act. Only applications from individuals eligible to work in Canada will be considered.
Reference ID: 3-DEV-2020
Job Types: Part-time, Permanent