DEPARTMENT: Community Services Division
SUPERVISOR: Community Services Manager
TERMS: Full Time
Reference #: 2019 - 072
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The purpose of this position is to administer the Youth/Recreation Program and to plan, facilitate and supervise recreational activities to promote overall personal growth for the youth of the community.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plans, facilitates and supervises recreational, social and educational programs that support the positive cultural identity and personal wellness for the youth of the community as well as the Recreation Program. (85%)
- Assesses the recreational needs of the youth.
- Assists in the creation, implementation and monitoring of community projects and programs to meet overall needs.
- Plans, organizes and supervises activities for programs including setting up the schedule of activities and booking out-going trips.
- Must participate in all activities with the youth
- Mentors documents and reports (to supervisor and parents) any negative behaviors of the children/youth in the programs, such as bullying.
- Meets, liaises and networks with community groups.
- Works with community groups to support youth and program.
- Maintains records, reports and an overall workplan.
- Establishes effective relationships with youth through positive role modeling, for example no drugs, alcohol, smoking or vaping while on shift, or any other types of substances
- Coordinates fundraising activities including writing reports and conducting presentations.
- Monitors attendance, medical information forms, equipment and supply levels.
- Promotes safety, health and wellness
- Complete program intake forms with parents (as directed), pick up and drop off forms and record important safety information such as allergies.
- Respects individual privacy and confidentiality at all times.
- Provides quarterly reports on activities for the Sports and Recreation Coordinator and funding source.
- Liaises with referral sources, and social development staff and outside agencies and professionals.
- Evaluates and screens referral applicants to program in consultation with the Community Service Manager.
- Monitors and resolves crisis situation as required.
- Provides clients with Recreational experiences to enhance and expand their present skill set.
- Ensures the well-being and safety of clients at all times.
- Assists in the development of new programs and services that would benefit the clients.
- Maintains the Community Service vans and ensures safety equipment is up to par.
- If qualified, transport children/youth to programs.
- Maintain (daily) clean and sanitary conditions at the Full Circle Youth Center (inside & out).
- Performs all duties and responsibilities in accordance with the TteS policies, standards, and procedures.
- Maintains confidentiality on all matters relating to the affairs of the TteS.
- Attend training as required.
- As a member of the Social Development team, the Youth/Recreation Worker communicates with various groups and ensures strong communication with the TteS Community. (10%)
- Coordinates outings and recreational activities.
- Acts as a liaison for the community.
- 5% Other related duties as necessary.
- Assists with the various departmental community functions such as picnics, parties at the direction of the Community Service Manager.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE AND OTHER SKILLS:
Professional Certification, Education and Experience
Completion of Grade 12 and 2-years related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Must have a current valid Class 5 Driver’s License with willingness to obtain a Class 4 license.
Must pass a Child Care Criminal Record Check.
Must possess a valid First Aid Level C Certificate or be willing to take obtain.
Due to funding source, this position is for applicants 19 – 30 years of age.
Skills and Abilities
- Good communication skills.
- Able to connect and build relationships with youth in a positive way.
- Strong knowledge of recreational, educational and other activities that will assist youth.
- Significant outdoor recreation with work experience, including small equipment use and maintenance.
- Good demonstrated coaching, communication and motivational skills.
- Strong knowledge of program monitoring.
- Strong organizing, planning and coordinating skills.
- Able to communicate effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully establish and maintain respectful, productive and cooperative working relationships.
- Ability to work in a cross-cultural setting.
- Strong ethics and knowledge of confidentiality.
- Must be fit and able to lift up to 50 pounds
HOURS OF WORK: Normal Day shifts – 7 hours. Non-normal shifts maybe required.
PAY GRADE: $13.85-$16 Dependent Upon Experience
Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc thanks all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
In accordance with Section 16(1) of the Canadian Human Rights Act and pursuant to Section 42 of the BC Human Rights code, it is TteS Policy to practice preferential hiring for Aboriginal peoples. Candidates who wish to qualify for preferential consideration must self-identify.
Deadline for the Job posting is September 26, 2019 by 2:00pm
Submit Job Application Form, cover letter, resume, and references
online: https://tkemlups.ca/job-application-form/, by fax: 250.828.9847,
or in person, at our Human Resources office #200 – 330 Chief Alex Thomas Way.
Office Hours are Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. &
closed for lunch from 12:00pm to 1:00pm
We require each applicant to fill out
an online application form which can be found at: https://tkemlups.ca/job-application-form/
Any late submissions or submissions without the job application form will not be considered.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $13.85 to $16.00 /hour