Kokomish is a group care program established in 1996 that provides intermediate and long-term care to Indigenous youth (12-17 years old) who are in the care of Children Services. Kokomish means grandmother in the Ojibwa language. Using traditional Indigenous perspectives and values, we provide our youth with supervision, guidance, life skill development, life space counseling, support, advocacy, recreation, cultural resources and programming. Most importantly, we provide our youth with a safe, caring, and accepting home
· Provide a safe, supportive environment for the youth
· Build positive relationships with the youth
· Work with community agencies who also work with or provide services to the youth
· Work effectively with the youth's care team in developing healing plans and relating information
· Knowledge of trauma informed care and the ability to use a harm reduction approach
· Deal with the individual and group behaviors
· Plan and participate in the daily planning of recreational activities;
· Plan and participate in the planning of meals and grocery shopping;
· Participate in monthly staff meetings and sessions with the psychologist
· Become familiar with community agencies;
· Learn the policies of the Society and be able to implement them.
· Completion of a Human Services Degree or Diploma is preferred
· A minimum of 2 years related work experience
· Ability to work well as a team member and ability to take direction
· Passion for working with Indigenous individuals; excited about being a catalyst of change in youth's lives.
· Must have an understanding of the impact the loss of culture identity and intergeneration residential school syndrome has had on Indigenous people.
· Must have a valid Class 5 non graduated driver’s license and willing to obtain a drivers abstract
· Must have 2-million-dollar liability insurance coverage if unable to drive company vehicle
· Must provide a clean Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector and Intervention Record Check (within a 6-month period from date of completion).
· Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
Salary and Benefits
· $20-$23 per hour
· Ability to pick up any extra shift that are available
How to Apply
You can send your cover letter and resume via email
Job Types: Part-time, Casual