Here's what you'll be doing....
Develop and execute revenue generating sales and marketing plans by working directly on all aspects of UTP Journals’ sales and marketing, including strategy development, campaign implementation, conference planning, copywriting, design, and analyzing results for continual improvement.
Key Responsibilities include:
Education, Qualifications, and Experience:
- Develop and execute sales strategy to generate new sales across various products, including digital archives, advertising, and subscriptions
- Retain existing customers and pursue lapsed subscriptions
- Generate sales through product recommendations and identifying opportunities for cross-selling and up-selling, including creating appropriate promotional material
- Perform market, industry and competitive research and analysis to drive targeted marketing plans, determine key program selling points and identify best customer prospects
- Present to prospective customers product price quotations, product information, features and benefits as well as respond to licensing/subscription inquires
- Develop and maintain excellent customer service and strong relationships with key accounts to encourage renewals, new and repeat sales
- Measure and track effectiveness of various sales tactics and report on revenue
- Identify opportunities for new or improved sales and promotional material, write content and lead production of these materials, including deployment of information through appropriate channels and media (printed or digital, presentations, website, social media)
- Research, plan and lead journals’ presence at select conferences and events throughout the year, including advertising and collateral material as well as promotion via social media
- Collect and analyze data from marketing campaigns to evaluate performance, share findings with multiple stakeholders, and use information in making data-driven recommendations
- Coordinate marketing reports, including collating information for annual reports to clients and updating marketing plans and information in marketing database
Knowledge, Skills, and Attributes:
- University graduate, Marketing, Communications or related field preferred
- Minimum of five (5) years’ related experience with B2B sales and marketing campaign development
- Experience in a periodical or scholarly publishing environment
About our Team:
- Results-driven, self-motivated, proactive and able to work independently
- Demonstrated experience with generating professional sales and marketing content
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work on multiple projects, prioritizing and meeting tight deadlines
- Customer/client focused with ability to anticipate client needs; must have a positive and professional approach and be able to present concepts to clients with confidence
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; driven, with a passion to learn, grow, and perform
- Knowledge of how academic electronic resources are selected, acquired, and made discoverable by libraries and scholars
- Knowledge of the key marketing elements that drive successful sales outcomes
- Digital marketing experience with social media platforms and ability to effectively manage the delivery of marketing messaging through them
- Business travel required (~15%)
- Values matter to you. You bring your whole self to work and you live our values of accountability, innovation, respect, and customer focus
We are a tight-knit group dedicated to advancements in scholarly publishing, and we enjoy each other’s company. We strive to push the boundaries of academic publishing and work in close collaboration with academic editors and scholarly societies and manage all aspects of the scholarly journals publishing process. Our journals collection includes 45 titles in a variety of disciplines, including history, literature, education, law, physiotherapy, bioethics, policy, and microbiology.
About University of Toronto Press:
Our organization is steeped in a rich history (UTP was founded in 1901) and today is Canada's leading scholarly publisher and one of North America’s premier academic presses. Our authors praise us for our commitment to quality and innovation and for our ability to successfully market books both in North America and around the world. We are honoured and proud that many of our books have received a number of awards.
Through the operation of several complementary divisions, it is our mission to publish exemplary works of scholarship, and to disseminate knowledge widely for the benefit of society. In addition to publishing books, we own and publish numerous high profile scholarly journals, distribute books to a broad range of other publishers through our warehouses in Toronto and Buffalo and operate highly regarded and successful campus stores for the University of Toronto.
We operate with mutual trust, respect, and integrity. We communicate in an open, honest, sensitive, and intelligent manner. We acknowledge the diversity, dignity, and worth of all individuals and respect their competencies and contributions. We seek continuous improvement, and foster an environment that encourages creativity and inspires people to make a difference. We are committed to making UTP a great place to work and grow!
Interested in applying?
We truly thank all applicants for their interest in joining the Press, only those candidates considered for an initial interview will be contacted.
The University of Toronto Press encourages applications from all qualified candidates. If you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies, please contact Human Resources at 416.978-2239 ext. 2255.