Job title :
OCCUPATIONAL THERAPIST – SENIORS HEALTH & WELLNESS
NORTH HILLS CARE CENTRE
RELIEF FULL TIME
Join Interior Health’s focus on enhancing Home Health Services to seniors in Kamloops, BC. We are seeking an Occupational Therapist with passion for working in community care and treating older adults in a self-management program.
Based in the North Hills Centre, the Seniors Health and Wellness Centre offers seniors a range of services needed to maintain independence and live at home, to optimize patients’ health through an inter-professional team approach, and to provide support to family and care team.
The Home Health Program incorporates community nursing, community allied health, a community bathing program, a lab collection centre, and a primary care clinic in which nurse practitioners care for patients age 65 and older. The team consists of a geriatrician, general practitioners, geriatric psychiatrist, dietitian, mental health clinician, pharmacist, physiotherapist, rehab assistant, registered nurses, respiratory therapist, speech-language pathologist and social worker.
In this role, the Occupational Therapist sees clients in their home setting ensuring their environment is as safe and effective as possible and deals with activities of daily living. Travel is involved in this role within the City of Kamloops. A valid BC Driver’s License is necessary and access to a personal vehicle is required.
Days and hours of work are Monday to Friday 8 am to 4 pm. This is a temporary full time opportunity until return of incumbent (June 2020). This position is eligible for our comprehensive benefits plan that includes coverage for basic Medical Services, Dental Services, and Extended Health. Relocation Allowance may be available for the eligible candidate.
In Kamloops, Interior Health employees Occupational Therapists in a many worksites and practice focuses. Many careers begin with temporary assignments that will lead to regular employment opportunities.
Education, Training and Experience:
Skills and Abilities:
- Graduation from a recognized occupational therapy program.
- Current registration with the College of Occupational Therapists of British Columbia (COTBC). Eligible for membership in the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists or British Columbia Society of Occupational Therapists.
- Valid BC Driver’s license.
- Teaching: Ability to teach clients and others both one-on-one and in groups.
- Knowledge Integration: Integrates best practice and current research evidence to support professional practice decisions and actions.
- Communication: Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with clients, families, the public, medical staff and the members of the interdisciplinary team using, oral written and computer communication means. Demonstrated ability to effectively resolve conflict.
- Critical Thinking: Demonstrated ability to integrate and evaluate pertinent data (from multiple sources) to problem-solve and make decisions effectively. Applies the problem solving process demonstrating critical thinking and decision making skills using a systems approach.
- Management: Demonstrated ability to organize work, set objectives and establish priorities. Manages time and resources, implements activities to promote cooperation among the interdisciplinary team, supervises responsibilities of others, and collaborates across disciplines.
- Leadership: Promotes staff morale, engagement, and risk-taking. Demonstrates creative planning for change and innovations, implementation of IH policies or other protocols, and ongoing professional development of self and others.
- Teamwork: Demonstrated ability to foster teamwork and a commitment to excellence in the provision of client care.
- Equipment: Demonstrated computer skills including the use of Meditech and Windows based programs. Demonstrated data analysis skills including appropriate data analysis and reporting tools. Demonstrated ability in the use of e-mail and word processing. Ability to operate other related equipment as required in the specific practice area.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.