This is a provisional classification. Formal classification procedures will be initiated by the Compensation & Job Evaluation Unit in approximately six months.
About Dalhousie University
Dalhousie University is Atlantic Canada’s leading research-intensive university and a driver of the region’s intellectual, social and economic development. Located in the heart of Halifax, Nova Scotia, with an Agricultural Campus in Truro/Bible Hill, Dalhousie is a truly national and international university, with more than half of our 19,000 students coming from outside of the province. Our 6,000 faculty and staff foster a vibrant, purpose-driven community, that celebrated 200 years of academic excellence in 2018.
Information Technology Services (ITS) is dedicated to a constructive, team-orientated environment, gathering varied perspectives, sharing knowledge, and building effective partnerships that enable our partners to achieve their goals by advising, providing solutions, and delivering service excellence in alignment with the University’s mission and goals. Reporting to the Service Desk Manager, Client Services, the incumbent will provide front-line technical support services to all Dal IT clients (staff and faculty).
- Answer incoming telephone calls to the ITS Service Desk, logging all support requests in ITS incident management system tool.
- Classify and categorize incidents, prioritizing incidents to ensure timely resolution through either Tier 1 support or assignments to Tier 2 or Tier 3 via the established escalation process. Dispatch requests to external service providers as required.
- Utilize remote control tools to resolve hardware and software issues, and when required, provide on-site desktop support to clients to assist with resolution of hardware and software issues.
- Document detailed summary and description for every request or problem reported to the Service desk. Log all troubleshooting steps attempted, and document detailed resolution on every ticket before closure.
- Perform analysis to determine commonly occurring problems and recommend solutions for possible distribution to clients.
Undergraduate degree or diploma in Computer Science or related field, with three to five years’ progressive experience in client support in a mixed PC and Macintosh environment (or equivalent combination of training and experience) is required. Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) certification would be considered an asset. Experience with Microsoft Office 365, Office suites, MS Windows and Mac OS X required. Solid experience in a diverse range of services in technical user support, networking, and communications. Career experience in post-secondary university or other academic institution is an asset. Excellent oral and written communication skills, proven organization skills, proven troubleshooting skills effective interpersonal skills, and the ability to interact with clients in a professional manner.
Job Competencies Additional Information
Dalhousie University supports a healthy and balanced lifestyle. Our total compensation package includes a defined benefit pension plan, health and dental plans, a health spending account, an employee and family assistance program and a tuition assistance program.
Bargaining unit employees for NSGEU local 77 are given first consideration and will be notified regarding the status of their application. All other applicants will be considered when there is no qualified internal candidate.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Dalhousie University is committed to fostering a collegial culture grounded in diversity and inclusiveness. The university encourages applications from Indigenous persons, persons with a disability, racially visible persons, women, persons of a minority sexual orientation and/or gender identity, and all candidates who would contribute to the diversity of our community. For more information, please visit www.dal.ca/hiringfordiversity.