Reporting to: Director of Apparel
Are you passionate about the sports industry, and want to put that passion to work? Are you looking for an opportunity to impact the design direction of our brand in the golf and sports apparel industry? If so, we would love to speak with you about a role in our design department.
As a manager in the design department, you will be responsible for providing design leadership to your team members. This includes inspiration, market research and a forward vision to your team in executing the brands global direction in the men’s and ladies athletic apparel space. Sounds exciting, right?
Here are some of the things you will be responsible for
Design Manager – Job Description
- The Design Manager reports to the Director of Apparel.
- You will be responsible for designing and developing the lines for all categories including apparel, casuals, headwear and accessories. This work will be done to support the product team – who is responsible for putting the programs together.
- You will manage another designer in creating collections for each of the markets that we serve – currently Golf, Team Licensed, Men’s Sweaters and a Women’s Athleisure line sold in various global markets.
- You will be responsible for the execution of the line development through your management of a design team in Toronto. The group is responsible for communicating design goals and coordinating with the sourcing office, product development team. You will assist to ensure development and sampling meet deadlines, quality and pricing objectives. There are 2 collections in the year – Spring/Summer and Fall/Winter.
- Maintain fabric and trim libraries to be used in product development – fabrics from factory visits and sample purchases etc.
- Your team’s responsibilities include but not limited to the following:
- Research and Ideation of the seasonal lines.
- Design and development of the silhouettes and details
- Creation of the tech packs – (design portion only)
- Work with the apparel development team to coordinate samples, costings etc.
- Your responsibilities end at the point of final approval of the Salesman samples. All production including QA will be the responsibility of the merchandising team.
- You will work closely with the product team that will provide overall direction and requirements. You will also work closely with the apparel development and sourcing team to ensure timelines are met for samples etc.
- There is an increased focus on design – must have an intimate knowledge of programs from our key competitors and must be immersed in the culture.
- Degree in Apparel / Fashion design.
- In-depth knowledge of all apparel categories Knits, Woven, Sweater knits.
- Extensive knowledge of software tools as required Adobe (Illustrator, PS) and Microsoft Suite (e.g. Word, Excel, Outlook, Access). Ability to develop detailed Tech packs / technical sketches.
- 5 year’s + experience in management with technical design of apparel is required (Sportswear knowledge/ experience is preferred)
- Result oriented team player with great people management skills who works well under pressure in a fast, entrepreneurial team environment.
- Expert knowledge of Garment construction, Pattern making, Fitting and manufacturing. Any headwear experience is an asset.
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills to manage multiple projects and details.
- Excellent communication skills – written and verbal – with offshore offices, vendors with whom you will email and occasionally video conference.
- World-class customer service frame of mind – urgent, high-quality, decisive and proactive.
- Must be available to work standard business hours (40hrs/week) in the Richmond Hill, Head Office.
- Limited travel required for tradeshows and research but some is required.
- Must be available to work occasional off-hours due to global nature of communications.
We have a vibrant culture of brilliant people who are innovators, and thinkers. We believe in defying the status quo and we want smart people like you to join us. We are proud to have a quickly growing, diverse team, that’s motivated to be a part of a company that is changing the face of apparel.
Why join Levelwear ? Some of our perks include:
- An extensive benefits package that includes health, dental and vision.
- Company-sponsored events
- Internal advancement opportunities
- Great personal and family discounts on apparel
- Conveniently located off of major highways (Highway 7 and 404)
- Our dress code is casual.
Levelwear welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Job Type: Full-time
- managment with technical design of apparel: 5 years (Required)