Across our three hospitals and eight satellite sites, Scarborough Health Network (SHN) is shaping the future of care. Our many programs and services are designed around the needs of one of Canada’s most vibrant and diverse communities. We are home to North America’s largest nephrology program, as well as the designated cardiac care and spine centre for Scarborough and surrounding communities to the east. We are proud to be a community-affiliated teaching site for the University of Toronto and partner with a number of other universities and colleges, helping to train the next generation of health care professionals. Learn more at shn.ca
The Crisis Team consists of highly skilled clinicians specializing in crisis intervention and mental health. Reporting to the Manager, the Crisis Team provides consultations to the Emergency Department (ED) physician for patients registered in the ED who are experiencing mental health and/or psychosocial crises, community outreach and phone crisis intervention, as well as emotional support to patients and families of trauma.
In addition to assisting with the assessment process in the ED, the crisis worker provides crisis counselling and assistance with establishing the best possible plan of action for the patient (and their families) while respecting and understanding their cultural and spiritual needs both in the ED and out in the community through community outreach. When necessary, the crisis worker consults and works closely with the psychiatrist-on-call in addition to the ED physician, nursing, and community partners.
The Crisis Team member is current and knowledgeable of community resources and other hospital programs and assists in providing or linking their patients to ongoing care after discharge from the ED and provides community outreach and phone crisis intervention, as necessary to prevent readmission or return to the ED. If the patient requires admission to hospital, the crisis worker is available to work with the patient and family/supports to transition through the admission process.
Company Vacancy/Request for Transfer:
The completion of this online form serves as your application and will be used to determine if you meet the requirements of this position. Please ensure that you have provided all pertinent information necessary to be considered for this vacancy by the close date.
- Current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Registered Nurse
- CNA CPMHN(c) is an asset
- 2 years (minimum) clinical experience in Mental Health
- Working knowledge of the Mental Health Act
- Proficiency in applying the skills of de-escalation & de-briefing Advanced de-escalation, Crisis Intervention Training & Code White training preferred (training will be provided)
- Extensive experience managing and responding to a diverse range of psychiatric emergencies
- Demonstrated skills in crisis and bio-psychosocial assessment, mental status examination, differential diagnosis, short-term treatment modalities and transitional care of mental health clients
- Detailed knowledge of community services/resources
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and comfort in using computer systems to access required Personal Health Information, typing of notes etc.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently and as a part of a team.
- Excellent organizational skills
- High level of maturity, professionalism & acceptance of personal responsibility
- Knowledge of recovery philosophy
- Excellent attendance record and ability to maintain same
- Valid Ontario Driver’s License
- Demonstrates excellent work performance and attendance record
Scarborough Health Network (SHN) embraces and celebrates our community’s unique multicultural heritage and diversity. SHN is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a culture of inclusiveness and diversity reflecting our diverse patients, staff and community alike. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs.