Support Staff works closely with guests by encouraging them in their journey and connecting them with programs and services. Support Staff are on the front line and respond to guest's basic needs. Crisis intervention and conflict resolution can be daily occurrences in this role.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintain a high level of professionalism, respect and gratitude with all staff, donors, volunteers, guests and visitors
- Ensure a safe and welcoming atmosphere
- Build healthy relationships with guests who are looking to access services by actively listening, providing community resources and referrals, de-escalating conflict and maintaining healthy boundaries.
- Function in high-risk pressure situations and respond quickly to guests in crisis.
- Identify the crisis, minimize the harm to the individual and others, use de-escalation skills and assist guests to explore their options
- Problem solve, support and empower fellow staff members, and proactively communicate issues and concerns to Supervisor
- Assure the cleanliness and order of The Upper Room Mission
- Maintain the confidentiality of guests
- Participate in staff training (e.g. First Aid, Naloxone, Non-violence, etc.) and attend monthly general meetings and support meetings with Supervisor
- Other duties and site related duties may be assigned when required
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- A demonstrated understanding of the issues contributing to poverty
- Minimum of one year related experience working with individuals facing mental health,
addictions, chronic illness, homelessness, poverty and related challenges. Equivalent
experience may be considered
- Post-secondary degree or diploma or experience in human services field with a background in social work or addictions an asset
- Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills, result oriented, time management, strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Excellent de-escalation and conflict resolution skills
- Highly motivated, compassionate, creative and responsible person
- First Aid, Non-violent Crisis Intervention and Suicide Intervention Training an asset
- Familiarity with data entry, Excel and Outlook and ability to respond to emails in a timely manner
- The position will require ongoing compassionate care, frequent manual labor, conflict resolution and organizational ability
- Moderate physical effort: considerable periods of standing, walking, cleaning and sorting
- High mental effort: identify and assess conflict, problem solve, maintain healthy boundaries, and provide empathetic support for guests facing extreme personal struggles
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time