Cermaq Canada is currently looking to fill the full-time permanent role of a Freshwater Hatchery Technician to our team in Duncan, British Columbia.
Hatchery Technicians are responsible for general hatchery husbandry operations, including incubation, feeding, water quality monitoring, water chemistry, mortality removals, smolt transfers, and various site related activities.
· General knowledge of water quality monitoring in both recirculation and flow through technologies
· Fish transfers including grading, splits, internal movements and smolt transport
· Understanding and adherence to hatchery biosecurity, procedures and protocols
· Able to learn and apply technical procedures for Recirculating Aquaculture Systems (RAS)
· RAS operating and maintenance experience would be heavily preferred
· Knowledge and experience with salmon hatchery operations would be an asset
· Proactive attitude to foresee and solve problems and ability to work as a team member
· This full time position operates on a 5 days on, 2 days off schedule (not camp-based), and working 40 hours per week. Possible overtime may be required depending on business needs
· During probation the shift schedule is anticipated to be day shifts from 7:30am – 4:00pm. After probation the shift schedule may include some afternoon shifts from 3pm – 11:30pm and/or graveyard shifts from11pm – 7:30am. The position may be required to work on-call shifts. Timely and reliable transportation will be required to travel to the hatchery to respond to alarm calls as needed.
· Extended health and dental as well as employer-paid BC MSP premiums are available after a 3-month probationary period.
· Prerequisites to hiring are a fitness assessment, reference checks, and a criminal record check.
· Only applicants who are legally allowed to work in Canada will be considered.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent